Touring Alabama

Hello everyone! I’ve stalked you all for a while but never posted. Haha! But I do have a question I hoped someone could clarify for me. We have a campus tour of Alabama set up for next week. My D will also be applying to the honors college and wants to study electrical engineering. I’ve read on CC about emailing to set up additional tours, but I’m a little unclear on who to contact.

I’ve read to contact the recruiter (who we have met), and to contact the honors college (name and email address is on the website), and that we can contact the College of Engineering to set something up. Are we emailing all 3 of those people, or am I just emailing the recruiter and she is coordinating it all? I just don’t want to be bugging everybody if that’s not necessary.

Happy to hear any guidance. Really looking forward to our tour.

You should only need to email one of them. Either your recruiter or the honors college can set up tours and meetings including the engineering building. Personally I wouldn’t recommend contacting the engineering department because they probably won’t be able to set up meetings with other areas, but either your recruiter or the honors college should be able to arrange everything you need.

We toured twice. We had our first tour arranged by our recruiter and that included meetings with the honors college and a tour of the engineering buildings. Our second tour was arranged by the honors college and included meetings with the co-op office and sitting in on an engineering class.

In the email to the below listed HC people, include:
Student’s name and contact info
Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.
GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)
Likely majors
Interest in Computer-Based Honors and/or UFE
Career interests (including med, law, etc)
Anything particular that you want to see. If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, the TV or radio stations, the B-school or what-have-you, let them know.

Honors Recruitment

Susan Alley Dendy <= new last name
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
susan.alley@ua.edu (now changed…Susan Dendy, Coordinator
270 Nott Hall | 205-348-5599 | susan.dendy@ua.edu

Jordan Hall, Assistant Coordinator
jordanmhall@ua.edu

Kayla Fields
kdfields1@ua.edu

They will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.

Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. They do an excellent job and work very hard.

Susan has recently married, so let me find her new last name.

Yep…her name and addy have changed…

Susan Dendy, Coordinator
270 Nott Hall | 205-348-5599 | susan.dendy@ua.edu

Jordan Hall, Assistant Coordinator
272 Nott Hall | 205-348-7054 | jordanmhall@ua.edu

Thank you both! That’s very helpful.

LostTexan: Please let us know how it goes. Have a great visit!!

I would go thru the Honors College to setup the tour.

We are also touring next week with the younger daughter. My older daughter is a jr at UA. DD2 has toured and been on campus plenty of times and is very familiar with the campus. We are not doing the regular tour. We contacted the school she is interested in and they are planning her entire day out for her. UA is great about setting up specialized tours for prospective students! We have been working with another school that we will be visiting the day before and it is not going as well.

Good luck on your tour and enjoy

ROLL TIDE

Susan Dendy is getting everything set up for us. Thanks for everyone’s help. I’ll let you know how it goes. We are also touring Clemson and Virginia Tech next week.

Clemson is great! I graduated (Masters and PhD) from here…and…still live here! Clemson vs. Notre Dame this weekend! Go Tigers!

This probably sounds like a stupid question: Can someone explain how they can take their kids out of school at this point in the semester to tour?

My twins have a ton of homework and their AP Calc, Chem, English class moves so fast that if they left for three days it would take two weeks to catch up on their assignments. Their HS is not obliging on make-up work as you only get 2 days from return to make up the work or you only get 50% credit max. All tests have to be made up within 3 days of return.

Believe me, I think it is great that others school districts in other states are so obliging because ours is not for sure. Maybe part of that is that school funding in IL is based on days a student is IN class so they make it a HUGE hurdle if you are not there.

We haven’t even taken a vacation during the school year unless we can fit it in Spring Break without days missed. MY DS was even in the hospital for 10 days due to an infection from wrestling and they made him take the tests he missed within 3 days of return!

We went over Jewish holiday…school was off

Off between Rosh Hassanah and Yom Kippur? We are Jewish in a public school in IL and they cannot even take the day off for the holidays without being marked as absent! Very low population in the school.

We get a weeklong fall break in October. I didn’t know there was such a thing until I moved here to TN a few years ago. It has been very nice though, great time for low crowd vacations and college tours.

I wish we had that. Only week long break we get is at Thanksgiving because the teachers want those days off. Difficult to tour colleges then because most are shutting down for the holiday. :frowning:

It was September 13, 14, 15. We flew into BHM Sunday afternoon and drove to Tuscaloosa and stayed over. Toured all day Monday, and then drove back to Birmingham and returned the car. We stayed over in Birmingham that night very close to the airport and took the hotel shuttle to BHM the next morning. If you can swing it, I would HIGHLY recommend visiting. It was a great (but too short) trip and it is great knowing already that my D loves it.

We went over Spring Break senior year. My kid ended up having to miss a day of school that Monday because his break coincided with UA’s, but it was worth it at that point and he was missing school for several “accepted student days.” We coudn’t swing it any earlier than that either if we wanted to visit while students were on campus.

My son got 3 excused days during his senior year as college visits. He had to complete any homework BEFORE he took the day off. He did not miss any tests. He used all 3 of his allowed college visit days and we had to submit a signed form signed by an admissions rep from the colleges he visited. The remainder of his visits we did over his fall break (only 2 days), spring break, winter break, or the summer between his junior and senior years.

@LucieTheLakie Same boat as you. Our Spring Break is usually after most colleges. We will have to wait until then.

Do you know when Spring Break is at UA in 2016?

I think March 14-18, @CyclonesGrad, based on this: http://coop.eng.ua.edu/files/A-Co-op-Calendar.pdf.

Good. The HS Spring Break is the last week of March.

Many schools give students X number of excused days for school visits.