Touring UVM in a couple weeks. Must see/do?

Daughter and I are doing the official tour in a couple weeks. Staying at Hotel Vermont. Any recs as to places to eat/visit/ view to better get the vibe of campus? She’s kind of outdoorsy, outgoing type with left-leaning politics. Pre law/poli sci. Want to be sure it’s a fit, especially since we are visiting from Oregon and will only have one day to make a judgment. Ideas appreciated! Not easy to get to Burlington from our small town in OR. Thanks!

1 Like

A nice and easy walk from Hotel Vermont.

3 Likes

My son is a jr and a poli-sci major. He couldn’t be happier at UVM! Definitely Church St is a great place to walk around, people watch, and eat outside of the weather is nice enough.

1 Like

This is a great thread. I am visiting on April 14th…following!

2 Likes

Church Street. It’s the heart of Burlington. You’ll see tons of college students, but also see how the town mixes with the university.

2 Likes

Make sure you try a Creamie by the lake. They are amazing!

1 Like

An outgoing outdoorsy type with left-leaning politics will definitely find her people at UVM. My daughter, who sounds very similar, was also accepted and we will be there the weekend of April 15. Her soul comes alive walking Church Street…You can just see it. As others have said also be sure to check out the waterfront.

While walking Church Street, our family likes Leunig’s Bistro for lunch, but there are several other options. If you’re interested in a nice dinner, people will drive more than an hour to eat at Hen of the Wood, a sort of high-end farm-to-table restaurant. American Flatbread is great for artisan wood-fired pizzas.

A note about weather…April in Vermont is neither winter nor spring, so be prepared for both. It could be below freezing with snow flurries or it could be sunny and mild. It could even be both in the same day.

Have a great trip.

2 Likes

You will never want to leave - Hotel Vermont is so lovely and helpful staff too.

1 Like

Great thanks! Excited to check it out

I’ll be there, too! Can’t wait to visit!

1 Like

Looks like I may be visiting with my D24 in Oct. Any advice after your visit last spring?

Loved hotel vermont, amazing breakfast there, and lots of restaurant choices on church street. We were rushed so didn’t get to see much else. October should be nice.
The admissions presentation was underwhelming but I think we just had the wrong presenter. Hope yours is better. Tour is good, no dorms though. It moved down our list but only because it felt more health and stem focused than what my daughter wants (poli sci).

1 Like

My ds is a senior poli sci major and could not be happier. Feel free to pm me and I’d be happy to connect your student with him if they have questions about the department, profs, classes etc. UVM has been amazing for him!

1 Like

Thanks! My kid is interested in the animal sci/equine program. I hope we can line up a tour of the barns and an appointment with a prof. For some reason they aren’t doing campus tours the Thurs & Fri we’ll be there but we can make Sat work (so hopefully the dept tour will work out on Fri).

If you want an excellent beer and something to eat… FOAM Brewing and Deep City (attached) are very good. If you sit outside…you can see the lake.

We just ate there when we were dropping our first year off and already have reservations for when we go back in the fall! It is so delightful.