Town and Gown Relations

<p>Can any of you give us an idea of how the Tuscaloosa police handle situations involving students? When I was there for a football game the atmosphere seemed very congenial, but I’m curious if that is always the case. I am wondering about underage drinking violations. Do the Tuscaloosa police ever raid fraternity parties or aggressively look for drug or alcohol violations? I’ve heard of this happening at smaller " Greek" schools and I am curiuos what happens at Alabama. Thank you!</p>

<p>The consensus is that UAPD will try to look the other way so long as nothing egregious is going on, while TPD is not as forgiving but not also actively seeking alcohol violations. Who you do have to look out for, if you’re set on breaking alcohol laws, is the Alcohol Board of Control, which has it’s own enforcement division that actively seeks MIPs, PIs, lodge container violations, fake Ids, etc.</p>

<p>Bama has its own fully-employed University police dept so I don’t think there is a need for the city police to be too involved unless asked.</p>

<p>Town and Gown relations often refers to relations between the community and the university. Those kinds of relations are often stressed when a university is elite and the townies’ children aren’t often admitted (think movie, “Mystic Pizza”)…which creates an “us vs. them” situation. That’s not the case with Tuscaloosa and Bama. Bama enrolls many T-town residents’ children. </p>

<p>The City of Tuscaloosa and the community seem to love Bama. :)</p>

<p>By “lodge containers,” I mean “open containers” of course. Such are the hazards of trying to reply to these threads by phone.</p>

<p>m2ck, TPD and UAPD have overlapping jurisdictions, so both are involved in law enforcement on-campus. UAPD concentrates on the UA area so they are closer-by, but both (and ABC) roam the campus area.</p>

<p>LOL Feenotype. I read your second paragraph, and kept trying to figure out what jurisdiction M2Ck has at UA. Then I was trying to figure out what auto-correct changed to make it M2CK. I think I need to go to bed if I cannot even decipher simple sentences…</p>

<p>lol…</p>

<p>I think he meant to write:</p>

<p>M2CK: TPD and UAPD…</p>

<p>although I’ll take power wherever I can… ;)</p>

<p>Yeah, I figured that out after about 5 minutes of trying to figure out what jurisdiction you had on campus! LOL</p>

<p>Vlines, I was puzzling over the same thing. And I guess that M2CK has primary jurisdiction, since she was listed first.</p>

<p>^Too funny!</p>

<p>For the most part, UA and the City of Tuscaloosa have an excellent relationship.</p>

<p>The general consensus is that TPD is more strict than UAPD, but neither is anywhere near as strict as the ABC (Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control) officers. TPD and UAPD patrol the same area, but UAPD is the primary agency on campus and TPD is the primary agency off campus. Both jurisdictions tend to be more concerned about everyone being safe than writing a bunch of tickets for underage drinking. ABC officers will take underage drinkers to jail rather than write them a ticket though.</p>

<p>FWIW, Alabama has statewide jurisdiction, so there is really no such thing as jurisdiction in that any law enforcement officer in Alabama can write tickets and arrest people statewide. Especially at the LSU game, there were police officers and sheriff’s deputies from all across the state.</p>

<p>I think m2ck has jurisdiction both inside and outside of Alabama. :)</p>

<p>crimson white just had an article on this:</p>

<p>[Campus</a> crime not new | The Crimson White](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>every school has to make this report available…
<a href=“http://police.ua.edu/images/Campus-Security-Report.pdf[/url]”>http://police.ua.edu/images/Campus-Security-Report.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;