Transfer applications during a gap year

After my freshman year of college, I am planning to take a leave of absence from the school I am currently attending. However, I would like to transfer out of the school after the gap year is done. Is it possible to submit transfer applications during a gap year?

Yes

It may help (or may not) if you do something substantive during that year.

Also some schools like 2nd year. Others third. So research the schools that interest you to see. Also some have limited or no aid for transfers. Another thing to research if that impacts you.

I’m sure some also go to a cc their second year too and then transfer to another four year for third year.

Good luck.

My daughter applied for transferring during her study abroad. But she did transfer as an incoming junior and got the Presidential scholarship (half tuition), so it’s possible to get merit. Just research the schools your applying to.

You haven’t even started freshman year and you are already planning to take a gap year, AND then transfer out?

Why not just start college and figure it out once you get there? The best way to make sure you are miserable at college is to walk in already planning your escape route…

1 Like

Yes its possible, but you’ll need to submit letters from recent professors. Also a letter from your Dean that you are in good standing. Not sure how they will handle students who are on leave of absence and then request a letter. Call your Dean’s office to find out.

1 Like

I’m not a proponent of gap years. They’re great in theory…but in reality, kids end-up working at Subway and playing Xbox. College is how young adults mature. Through hard work and accountability, they earn achievements. Gap years really just take all that away, and the results are generally predictable. If you’re trying to get into a prestigious school, the best place you can be is in college.

Also, why start college with the intention of transferring? If you’re going to do that, you might as well go to community college and save yourself $10,000.