Transfer chance me (transferring out of Ivy)!

So I am potentially transferring out of Cornell after this semester. I haven’t decided, but I applied two places: Boston College and Notre Dame (my top choice, dream school).

White, US citizen
Resident of New York
Transferring out of: Cornell University (CALS)
Current Division-1 athlete at Cornell
Went to: Public high school
Straight cis female
Legacy at Notre Dame (5 contacts including my dad)
Intended majors: For Notre Dame, I applied for FTT (Film, Television, & Theater) and for Boston College I applied for Communication
Not submitting HS test scores
HS gpa (no weighting system): 95.0
College GPA (1st semester): 3.57; Fall 2022 Dean’s List

In high school I took 6 APs over junior and senior year (the only years we were allowed to take them). In college, I’ve taken 31 credits over two semesters: 2 sciences, 3 Comm classes (major required), 2 history, 1 math (statistics) & 1 information science. The history classes were for an intended history minor.
Grades in those classes: 1st history: A- , 1st science: B- (I don’t wanna talk about it) , 1st Comm: A , Info sci: A-.
All other classes are in progress.

Awards: D1 National Academic team for my sport (field hockey). Fall 2022 Dean’s List. Won a couple of leadership awards from my high school athletic department, as well as a lot of sports accolades in HS (all american nominee, all state, etc)

Extracurriculars: I want to be a journalist so I do a lot of journalism related stuff. I write for the Cornell Daily Sun and am on the men’s ice hockey beat, which amasses the most readers of all CDS sports. I’m also involved in multiple departments in a sports media club at Cornell, and run the social media for my fh team. My work experience is mostly coaching and camp counseling, and I did a couple of internships in high school as well as the Notre Dame pre college program back in 2021. I also am involved with Campus Ministry (the tiny program that is it) at Cornell.

Essays: I’d say they are pretty strong, as my strongest subject is writing/English.

Hopefully I can get some opinions from y’all! I’m hoping that I’m a decent candidate for these schools––particularly ND!

As a legacy student…did you apply to ND as a high school senior?

1 Like

Yes I did, and I was rejected

1 Like

This may not matter at all, but I thought I’d mention it - if you’re able to edit your post, you may want to consider deleting your specific sport and your reporting beat…with all the other information, it may make you identifiable to people with a little Google sleuthing. Again, probably no one cares, and it likely couldn’t really do you any harm to be ID’d by curious readers, but just in case, I figured I’d let you know that you’ve left more breadcrumbs than most posters (other than the people who use their name as their username :wink: ).

6 Likes

I’m a little unclear of your year in college. If you are a college freshman, your high school record will again be considered when you apply to transfer for the 2023-2024 academic year.

If you were not accepted the first time you applied, I’m not sure I would expect an acceptance this time either.

What is your academic reason for transferring from Cornell?

@Mwfan1921 your thoughts?

3 Likes

I think that this could go either way. Two things concern me:

One is that if you were turned down out of high school it is not clear to me what would be different this time around. One semester at Cornell (with a good but not “blow me away” GPA) does not seem like it is likely to make all that much difference one way or the other.

Also, I may have missed it but I did not see an academic reason to justify the transfer.

Cornell is a very good university. Personally I also think that the location is beautiful, but I suppose that is just my opinion.

What’s your plan if ND and BC don’t work out?

What does the CDS have for transfers?

Just checked for 21-22. 227/1076 so 21%.

BC is 13%

I’m assuming you are not trying to transfer as a recruited athlete? If so, obviously your chances are lower at BC and ND.

The more you can elucidate reasons for transfer the better…having an academic reason is helpful. I agree with the others that chances at ND with one semester of new information probably doesn’t make a solid reason for them to change their view on your HS app, but one never knows. If you are certain you want to transfer, you should add some non-reach schools to your list. Good luck.

This.

It is interesting that a multiple-legacy student with both a sports hook & the academic credentials to get into Cornell would be turned down by ND- esp if the OP applied ED.

OP, if you applied ED, do you have any idea as to why you were rejected the first time? you don’t have to tell us! but for yourself, if you do have an idea as to why, has that changed?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.