Transfer Chances

<p>hello, </p>

<p>I am looking for insight and perspective from people familiar with Purdue University's transfer acceptance standards. </p>

<p>By the end of this coming summer semester (ie: this semester, next semester, and a summer session), I will have the following courses completed:</p>

<p>Calculus 1 and 2
Gen Chem 1 and 2
Freshman Comp
Public Speaking
Physics (cal based) 1
Python Programming class
C++/C programming for engineers
3 elective credits from classes not worth mentioning</p>

<p>I expect to have no less than a 3.3 in these classes, currently am teetering between at a 88ish in all of my classes -- going to study hard for the next two exams and kill my finals so a 4.0 this semester is a strong possibility. </p>

<p>I want to get into purdue's nuclear engineering program and start in the fall of 2012 (unfortunately it looks like to enter for fall 2012 i have to apply this coming summer -- so i have less college coursework to show them -- more on why this is detrimental later) , and my questions are as follows.</p>

<p>a) how competitive is a student (ie how likely are they to be accepted) with the courses listed above and a 3.3-3.6 GPA?</p>

<p>b) how much weight is put into a transfer student's high school record? In high school i didn't care about school in the slightest and had a sub-2.0 gpa until my senior year. Senior year i shaped up and took full AP and college prep courses. Finished the year with a 3.6+.</p>

<p>c) I never took a foreign language in high school. Does this have the potential to sabotage my chances of getting in?</p>

<p>d) Given everything: a 3.3 - 3.6 in the listed courses, strong recommendations from my professors (which i'll definitely have to back me), and a strong personal statement, what do you think my chances are?</p>

<p>edit:</p>

<p>e) next semester i'm taking calc2 chem 2 physics 1 and public speaking --would you guys advise me to take a foreign language to please purdue, and for no other reason (i have no intrinsic interest in learning a foreign language but do have my crosshairs dead set on nucEng at purdue). I would be able to fulfill the requirement of two college semesters (this coming semester + a summer course)</p>

<p>Where are you currently in enrolled?</p>

<p>University of North Dakota – summer at U of M</p>

<p>Also, if the courses i listed didnt make it sufficiently clear, I am a first year student just about to finish up my first semester</p>

<p>No one knows? Not even one of them? = [</p>

<p>What if a student applied with a 4.0, flawless recs, flawless essay, but had a horrible HS transcript. Would they reject them?</p>

<p>Please!</p>

<p>Don’t worry about having taken a foreign language or not.
So, all engineering students have to go through the first year engineering program at Purdue,<a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/Announcements/FYEPlan[/url]”>School of Engineering Education - Purdue University. Are you applying directly for the nuclear engineering program or are you wanting to do freshman engineering? Because it varies:</p>

<p>Engineering
Transfer students interested in entering first-year engineering must have completed and earned at least a 3.0 (4.0 scale) in the following coursework:</p>

<ol>
<li>Calculus I</li>
<li>Chemistry I or a calculus-based physics course</li>
<li>At least two of the following - Chemistry II, CS programming (C language), Biology I, English composition, a communications class or other humanities course.</li>
</ol>

<p>Transfer students interested in being admitted directly to a specific engineering discipline must have completed all of the following college-level coursework and have the necessary GPA (3.0)</p>

<pre><code>* Calculus: 2 semesters

• Chemistry: 1 semester
  • Science Elective: 2nd semester of chemistry, OR
    1 semester computer science (programming content only)
  • Physics (calculus-based): 1 semester
  • English Composition: 1 semester
  • Speech or Humanities: 1 semester
    </code></pre>

<p>However, you NEED to make sure your credits transfer directly to Purdue. Otherwise, things will get messy. You should also probably read this, <a href=“Learn about Purdue University - Undergraduate Admissions - Purdue University”>Learn about Purdue University - Undergraduate Admissions - Purdue University;

<p>I will be applying directly into the nuclear program. By the end of THIS year (freshman year) I will have completed all of the required classes you listed (furthermore, for the ‘elective’ portion, i will have not just one of them, but two semesters of programming and chem 2, IE: 3 instead of 1).</p>

<p>I have also been in direct contact with a nuclear engineering adviser at purdue. I sent her syllabuses for all of the courses that my adviser here at UND said are equivalent to the courses on the nuclear engineering plan of study. It all checked out.</p>

<p>The only thing that i have the slightest concern for is my high school track record; I do not want my past choices to interfere with my future, because there is no logical or justified reason for it to do so. </p>

<p>Alright. So that clears up foreign language (I may still take two semesters – we’ll see, i asked the adviser whom i referred to earlier if how stringent the university is about that requirement).</p>

<p>What about HS transcripts and ACT/SAT scores?</p>

<p>Would they reject a student who has a 4.0 in a FULL technical course load of 17+ credits a semester SOLELY because of high school GPA and relatively unimpressive ACT scores?</p>

<p>My act composite was only a 22 (again, didnt prepare, both long term [ie learning material in school] and before the exam), and my final cumulative gpa was probably a 2.2/4.0; but it is worth mentioning again the ‘upward trend’ during my senior year, which was sustained/being sustained right now at college.</p>