Transfer credit other than AP, IB, CLEP etc?

DD takes some college level courses that are not AP etc, nor dual enrollment. I don’t suppose Alabama has any way of accepting those transfer credits, do they?

For example, when I went to college back in the days of stone tablets you could request to “test out” of courses. I tested out of a language despite never having taken an AP. I would love to hear that 'Bama allows something similar.

Testing out is different to receiving credit for the courses at UA. Someone else might chime in about this. What are the courses that she has taken, so we know what we’re dealing with?

College Anatomy, Physiology, Pathophysiology, Patho II

Ok, then next question is what is her major - are any of these courses relevant to her major or required for her major?

Probably aerospace engr. I was hoping they might be able to be used toward electives

YAY to aero! :wink:
Does she take these science classes while in high school (i.e., they are HS class options available to anyone), or on her own time (at night, or online)?
And, does she have other AP or CLEP already that can be applied?

What is the reason for getting these credits, because there is no rush, imo…

These were HS classes available to certain kids. She should go in with at least 24 AP credits (assuming she does ok on this year’s tests like she usually does (and thinks she will).

So, these sound like ‘enrichment’ courses for these certain students? In that case, I don’t see how they will be allowed for credit. The best thing to do is call UA and ask. I don’t recall this situation coming up on CC and discussed here.

If you look at the AEM flowchart, there probably will be a lull in her schedule while her cohort (who may need to take the Calc series, Physics, and so forth) catches up. It is wise to start FR year well in aero, and then take sufficient other coursework to supplement aero (foreign language for a country where she’d like to work, business/finance, economics, elective Math, etc.) to fill in the gaps she will have in the flowchart. It is ‘easy’ to have a minor in ME or Math; or double major is an option, too. There is bugger-all room for electives in the AEM major anyway, so make them count by choosing wisely! PM me if you want specifics about AEM/aero at UA. Good luck with our decision!

Unless she has a transcript from an accredited college/university with those courses listed, UA has no way of knowing if the courses were college level. If she has such a transcript, then they transfer as courses taught by that college/university. I took several courses like that during high school and they were easily transferred to UA. High School teachers who teach such college in the high school courses are also paid adjunct faculty members of the college/university.

Have you looked into the CLEP tests? They are offered in a zillion subjects and are very easy to schedule. It’s not like AP or SAT tests that are offered only certain times. You just sign up and show up at a convenient location at a time that works for your kid. You can now retake in 3+ months if the score isn’t high enough. (It used to be 6 months). My daughter did it for Spanish and got 11 credits in that single 1 hour test . . . Check the CLEP lists (and the UA CLEP credit rules) and see if there are some CLEPs that might work.

Can you clarify. You mention that they are “college level”. Were they taught at a CC? or were they high school classes that were teaching “college-like subjects” (based on their titles)?

It doesn’t sound like they are courses that Bama would be allowed to give credit for, but maybe I’m misunderstanding.

As for electives…I don’t think Eng’g majors need any non-eng’g electives. Or do you mean Gen Ed classes?

Which AP classes will she get credits from? Those may cover many of her Core Req’ts. I hope she’s taking AP English…that’s a good one to take to get out of 2 semesters of Frosh Comp! lol