Transfer Fall'11?

<p>I'm considering applying to U Miami since I am in-state and could probably live at home. As my name suggests, I'd rather be at NYU but there is always law/grad school.</p>

<p>My only concern is that my HS record is a bit sketchy. For the first three years I slacked off, but in the last year I almost had straight As. I finished with a 2.5 UW, 3.7 W taking pretty much all of the AP courses I could (save for Calc, Bio, etc.). My current college GPA is a 3.6 with 11 credits, and I'll be taking 15 this spring. I know I have less than 30 so I will submit my ACT (which was a 26, not super scored; do they do that?) score and HS transcripts.</p>

<p>So what are my chances for the Fall '11 semester? I looked up some old threads with people having ~3.4 getting in, but I know its become a bit more selective lately. ECs include a work/study and the school newspaper. I made the dean's list this semester, too. I probably won't get a scholarship, though I will probably have more than a 3.75 (the cut-off) by the end of spring, but with whatever FA they give me + living at home the loans won't be too crippling (...right?)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance :).</p>

<p>I feel like I didn’t explain my situation right, it looks all messy now that I reread the post.</p>

<p>HS GPA (razor sharp upward trend)
2.5 unweighted
3.7 weighted</p>

<p>College GPA
3.64 11 credits
Will take 15 this semester</p>

<p>Also, the scholarship cutoff is 3.75 and I’m not quite there yet. If I bring my GPA up in the spring, could I still be eligible or do I have to have a 3.75+ now?</p>

<p>Almost 100 views and no responses, I don’t understand D: .</p>

<p>I wasn’t going to reply because I’m not very familiar with transfer admissions, but I’ll give you my thoughts.</p>

<p>Your college GPA looks fine to get you in, but you’ve only taken 11 credits and if they let your high school GPA or ACT score play a significant role in the decision, I don’t think you’ll get in.</p>

<p>But I don’t know how much weight they give to each part of the app. I think it makes more sense to consider the college GPA more strongly, so hopefully that’s what they’ll do and you’ll get in.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply. I would wait to apply as a junior, but I’ll be busy preparing for the LSAT among other things. It seems like an unnecessary stressor. Plus I just want out of my current school already!</p>

<p>Hi there! Allow me to give some insight since I just transferred to UM this semester.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what school you’re transferring from, but if you can join Phi Theta Kappa, then JOIN IT. The $85 is worth it, trust me. It could get you a nice scholarship. To put it in perspective: a friend of mine transferred from the same school I did with over a 3.9 GPA, but did not get a scholarship, and was NOT a member of phi theta kappa. I transferred with a 4.0 and was a member of phi theta kappa and got a scholarship. So all-in-all, try to join and get that GPA up as high as possible.</p>

<p>To put another thing into perspective, with my scholarships and grants, I have virtually exactly enough to pay the tuition. My scholarship gives $8,000 per semester, so with all of the grants and no scholarship, you’d probably have to put about that much (give or take a bit) in loans, unless you are one of the many at UM who has rich parent who could pay the rest (I’m definitely not one of them).</p>

<p>And I just noticed that you mentioned you will have less than 30 college credits. They might be strict in looking at HS records, I’m really not sure. But if you feel like it might prevent you from getting in, I would recommend waiting another year and reapplying for the following fall semester. Plus that lets you get your GPA up even higher and gives you a better chance at a scholarship (especially if you join phi theta kappa).</p>

<p>Hope this helps, and good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply. I’ll be applying from another 4 year though, so I don’t think I can join that honor society. You get invited to join the 4 year equivalent after graduation I believe. I would wait to apply for junior year, but it would suck to have to worry about transferring (the essay, the recs, forms, deadlines) and the LSAT/law school admissions (the test, the recs, forms, deadlines, my future, etc.) around the same time. I’m waiting until next week when the next semester starts to call and see what they have to say.</p>

<p>I’m just worried that I won’t be able to accomplish enough spending two years at one school and starting all over at another. I might just apply this year, see what happens, and apply again for junior year if it doesn’t work out. There is no way I am staying at my current school, for very valid reasons.</p>