Transfer from out of State

Hi guys, so I’m currently at a junior college in Lincoln Illinois but it’s been my dream to go to school in California and then possibly move there after. Anyways, my grades in high school were awful so I thought it was my best bet to go to a junior college first instead of going to a four year school that was sub par and not in California due to my GPA in high school. So my question is: I know it’s hard to transfer to a UC from out of state and my GPA after this school year, my freshman year, I’ll have a 4.00 GPA if my grades stay around what I did my first semester. Anyways, would it help at all to transfer to a California Community College next year, my sophomore year, to help get accepted as transfer since they prioritize transfers from Cal Community Colleges? Would it help or hurt me? I want all answers without money and cost of tuition involved, just the answer of whether it’d help or not. It’s been a dream of mine and I’m not going to let simple things, such as money, get in the way of me achieving it. Thanks a lot!

Yes, going to a CC and taking at least 30 units there will help your chances in transferring by giving you priority. The UC’s offer TAG (Transfer admission guarantee) for California CC transfers. You can TAG to 6 of the 9 campuses meaning if you complete all the requirements and your TAG is accepted, you are guaranteed a spot at the UC. You can still apply to any UC without TAG but if possible it is a nice backup.

Who can file a TAG?
Only students transferring directly from a California community college (CCC) are considered for a TAG, including international students (those with a visa). A CCC transfer student is one who has completed at least 30 semester (45 quarter) UC-transferable units at one or more California community colleges, and the last college the student attended in a regular session (fall/spring or fall/winter/spring) before admission to a UC campus is a California community college. All UC campuses that offer TAGs require students to meet this definition.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/tag-matrix.pdf

Hi thanks for the comment! So Since I’d apply in September, how exactly would I get into the tag program, can I do that after I apply? Sorry for me not being the most informed. It’s all just a bit confusing to me.

Since you are OOS, do not expect to be able to TAG to a UC until Fall of 2019. Expect to spend at least 2 years at a California CC to meet the course requirements unless you come to California now. CA CCC’s are overcrowded and impacted so getting your classes is not always easy. Also, most likely not all your courses at your JC in Illinois may be UC transferable.

Now I will start with the money issues::::

IF you are not a California resident when you enroll, and you remain a dependent undergraduate, it is unlikely that you will be able to qualify as a California resident for purposes of tuition while you’re an undergraduate at UC.

Expect to pay OOS fees for the CA CCC and UC’s since you are coming to California for education purposes. Plan to spend around $20K for the CCC and $60K for the UC’s.

You do not become a resident for purposes of tuition simply by living in California for 366 days or more. The length of time you attend the University of California or live in California is not the sole determining factor of residency.

If your parents live outside of California and you are financially independent, you must also be able to verify financial independence for the two full years preceding the term for which you’re seeking residence classification.

To prove your financial independence, you must be able to document that you have been totally self-sufficient for two full years prior to the residence determination date, supporting yourself, for example, through jobs, financial aid, commercial/institutional loans in your name only, and documentable savings from your earnings. This also means you can’t have been claimed as an income tax dependent by any individual or have accepted gifts (cash or other support) that contributed to your subsistence for two tax years immediately preceding the term.

You normally cannot establish California residence for purposes of tuition while maintaining legal ties to another state or country (e.g. state tax liability, driver’s license, voter’s or vehicle registration). Further, if you have moved to California primarily to attend the University of California, you are here for educational purposes and may not be eligible for a resident classification for purposes of tuition.

It is your burden to prove, by clear and convincing evidence, that you have satisfied all applicable UC residence requirements. The University of California cannot alter or waive the eligibility criteria for any reason. Financial hardship cannot be considered in evaluating whether you are able to qualify for California residence for purposes of tuition.

Good Luck and personally I would stay in Illinois, get your degree and come to California to work.

My junior college now is $20k without room and board so that cost wouldn’t be a change. Theres much better schools out in califnornia and not to mention the weather and climate better suites me personally.

At Heartland? Are you out-of-district?

No I go to Lincoln College… private two year school transitioning into a four year school

Oh, okay, I thought LC was a four-year school. That makes sense.

So your parents are OK in paying an additional $140-160K for 1-2 years at a CA CC and 2 years at a UC since they have probably already paid 2 years? at your current JC??? You also need to include Health insurance, Car insurance/maintenance, airline tickets for visiting home etc… to your costs. Californians love their cars, so you would probably need a car to get around.

Your plan is likely unaffordable.

Reposting the exact same information will not change the responses and fact that you are OOS for California and will be paying huge bucks for your education.

You do realize that Sierra CC is in Northern California? Its out in the sticks, near Folsom prison heading towards Tahoe. There’s a reason that CCC is called “Sierra”. Are you looking for cold, snowy and rainy weather throughout the winter and dry inland horrible heat in the summer?

California is a HUGE state. The weather/climate in California is not the same throughout the state. Southern California is known for swimmable beaches and temperate weather.

Just want to add a small aside that Sierra College is not in the “sticks.” It’s in Rocklin, which is a bedroom community of Sacramento. It’s mostly an upscale suburbia. The weather is not like SoCal, though (much more chilly in the winter with rain and oppressive, dry heat in the summer), and it is nowhere near the beach, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Thanks @khmama, my daughter was at Davis and that’s what she called it.
The OP would still be in need of some form of transportation.

Funny you mentioned that; my daughter, while at Davis said that a student in her dorm (wearing swimsuit) was asking her floor mates how to get to the beach. Most people just laughed or responded: Take the train into San Francisco and keep going west. My daughter took out her google maps and showed the girl a map of the bay area. The girl had no idea that Davis wasn’t near a beach.

Yes yes I realize the climate. I’ve been to Sacramento before and I loved the climate. I’m from Illinois, I’m used to everything. I also have a well maintenanced car I’d be able to drive out there for the years. I’m not really asking for financial advice because that’s not a problem. I’m just asking if it’s a possibility to be able to transfer.

I’d like to add I have pretty well off grandparents that’ll be helping with tuition costs.

@pudnite I’m wondering…why Sierra College? It’s true that it does have some dorms, but the surrounding area doesn’t have the college feel that some other CC’s in California have. Do you have an interest in a specific UC campus? For example, if you’re interested in UCSB, why not Santa Barbara City College or Yuba College if interested in UC Davis? You could always find roommates in college towns. Rocklin is the epitome of the American suburbia, with malls and tons of restaurants, but doesn’t have a college-y feel.

@“aunt bea” that story is so funny!:slight_smile:

@khmama yes. Primarily the dorms. I also wouldn’t mind UC Davis so it’s also in that area. But I assumed with dorms it’d be a better financial option because it also comes with a meal plan. As for the college feel, well, right now I still live at home with my parents in Lincoln, Illinois… a small farming town. As much as I’d love the college life it wouldn’t be anything new to me not having the college-y feel. I also feel like that area is much more cheaper to live than in, say, socal.

@pudnite actually Rocklin and the surrounding area can be pretty pricey to live in - there are scads of neighborhoods with “McMansions” very near Sierra College. However, I noticed that the price of the dorms isn’t that bad, so if you can afford it, I’d say its a pretty good option for the area. Good luck!

Hi @pudnite! UCSB grad here! I second @khmama’s suggestion about Santa Barbara City college if your hope is to transfer to UCSB. Many of the SBCC students live in the private dorms in Isla Vista (the college town where UCSB is located). It’s a great way to get the full “college experience” while attending a community college. UCSB is on the beach, in the most amazing little college town. If you have your heart set of coming out to CA, and able to pay the OOS costs, it’s definitely an option to consider. Best of luck to you!

@khmama yes. I thought the price of the dorms and tuition was a very good price especially since it’s cheaper than what I’m paying now and I’m not even living on campus.

@BayAreaRecruiter thanks a lot for the great information. Since you both recommended it I’ll for sure check it out. It was been my dream since I was young!