Transfer from Univ Studies to College of Engineering

It’s on their website for transfer to engineering from non engineering majors. It says 12 credits taken at tech.

@undercover007 I thought the same thing about needing to take 1215 and 1216 at VT. There was definitely a document on their website when the changes were first put out stating that. But I can no longer find that document so now I’m not sure what to think. It may be something they backed off. Seats on campus for 1215 + 1216 are somewhat limited, in the past there’s been more demand than supply. As for the 12 credits, I interpreted that is just needing 12 credits taken at VT with a 3.2 GPA - now specifically which classes must be included in the 12. My guess is they want to see you handle at least 12 hours there with the appropriate GPA, not let you transfer directly in without experience in VT level work.

@qazwsx1234 I’ve seen some CC’s note that you must take both 1215 AND 1216 equivalents with them to get credit. The details of taking this sequence very much varies by CC so you have to know which school(s) you would be doing this at to get the absolute correct info. And yes VT would need to sign off before you take it. Would they do that before you’ve taken credits there? Something to check…

@JustGraduate It says on their website that it takes about a year extra for the transfer to occur. Is this assuming we have no AP credit? I have enough AP credit to get me out of English, Chem, and any math course (if allowed) so would that speed up the process? Also, am I not allowed to to take an Intro the Engineering course at New River CC (near V-tech) while I am studying at V-Tech in order to fulfill the requirements.

Also, why is V-Tech so against internal transfers? Wouldn’t it just be easier to do a year at another engineering school like Purdue and transfer later?

You essentially just asked why do colleges have limited spaces.

@undercover007

You got a problem with me asking questions? I’m tryna decide where to spend my next 4 years and I would preferably be in college of engineering so don’t mind me asking questions and don’t comment if you’re not gonna help answer them.

Really, that was just a weird question.

@qazwsx1234 How much longer it’s going to take varies by student. Primarily it’s going to depend on when they transfer in, how much of a challenge it is to get the courses they need once they get in (you might be a little off track and some courses are only offered a particular term, need prerequisites, etc), AND how many of the courses ultimately needed for the engineering major you are able to get through before you are able to transfer in - like some maths, deforms, statics, etc. Some majors besides those in CoE also require those classes so if you’re in those majors you have access to those classes due to your original major and don’t have to wait until you are able to transfer into CoE to get them. Given that it’s not terribly unusual to need more than 8 semesters to graduate from CoE even if you start out there, adding another semester or 2 to take into account the transfer isn’t far fetched. All you can say is each situation is different… maybe plan on another year and hope it takes less? The pacing item for WHEN the transfer occurs is typically 1215 and 1216 or the GPA. Then it comes down to how many other required classes have you been able to take before getting into CoE.

But I cannot emphasize this enough - IF you enroll in VT with the idea you’re going to transfer into CoE, it is essential you have a solid Plan B you can live with. The transfer is ultimately out of your control. You can take the classes you need, get the required GPA and still not get in - it is no longer guaranteed.

There’s been a fair amount of discussion/conjecture about why CoE made these changes, don’t think VT has divulged their reasoning. A couple ideas have been floated - they may or may not be correct but do make some sense. There is no doubt CoE wants to control their growth, not have it explode as it could if there was no limit on the numbers transferring in. Word is VT doesn’t want their STEM reputation to only be about being a great engineering school. There’s a lot of other STEM fields they are strong in and want to expand, leverage what they currently are doing well into new and growing fields. IMHO that’s a smart move for a school that wants to not only survive but thrive and further their currently excellent reputation. Also hear there are several majors that are traditionally significantly affected by students transferring out to CoE. That’s not a good thing for those majors. Optimally you want those students coming into a major committed and involved in the programs that’s offered. It can really impact the direction a major moves in, makes planning staffing, classroom space (am sure lab space is an issue) and other things more difficult to manage and project. There are a lot of reasons that allowing a relatively easy path out of one major and into another is not desirable.

I am NOT an authority on this. My son did this successfully before the rule change. And I can tell you he doesn’t think he would have tried to make the transfer with the new rules - but everyone’s risk tolerance, etc. is different so make your own decision. Hope this helps

@JustGraduate So to sum it up: It can still be done; however, will take time, effort, and luck essentially.

@qazwsx1234 Essentially yes. VT CoE has laid out a new process for transferring in. It does require that places be available to transfer into, don’t think we know the implications of that yet. This is just going into effect and it may be a while before there’s much feedback on the process, number of spaces available, etc.

My suggestion would be to check with your GC and see what they know, or if they are willing to call VT to investigate. If that’s not helpful, try calling yourself. Not sure if your best bet is to talk with CoE or Admissions. If you do call, make sure you think through what you want to know and how you could best ask. You won’t have unlimited time to speak with them so make the first question or 2 count.

It would be nice to hear what you find out as everyone is flying kinda blind on this right now.

Good luck

@qazwsx1234 hypothetically yes. however, you will need to get permission from the engineering department to take 1215 at CC (which they might not even do because you won’t currently be an engineering student and there’s a chance they might not approve you anyway). then for 1216 you have to be lucky enough to get a spot; even though it’s open to non-engineering majors, there are limited seats.

To address your other point:

Limited space and resources. There aren’t enough seats in classes, professors to teach those classes, etc. if every student who wanted to do engineering was in engineering. It’s not really much easier to do engineering at another school and transfer later because you’ll be in a similar situation anyway: no guarantee you’ll be accepted to engineering or the university.