Transfer from VCU to VT

<p>I am a freshman at VCU in EE. I am on track to have a 4.0 this semester, so I shouldn't have much trouble getting into VT's program, right? Is it worth going through the trouble to transfer and most likely lose some credits that won't transfer? How big is the difference in value of the degrees? How do I get started?</p>

<p>Sorry for the barrage of questions, please let me know if there is relevant info that need to include. </p>

<p>Hello! I’m actually in the same exact spot, I’m a freshman in Mechanical at VCU and will likely have a 4.0. The way I understand it is we actually won’t lose any credits (things like focused inquiry do transfer) except for 1-off courses like Energy!. I imagine that if VT is this hard to get into then employers will look at students more favorably, I hope anyway. Transfer app is a good place to start, the VT admissions are one heck of a lot more helpful than VCU’s so you can always ask them too.</p>

<p>Is it worth transferring from VCU to VT to graduate with an engineering degree? The “cost” will be the time involved in actually applying and perhaps some credits that don’t count toward the degree or delays caused by missing prerequisites. IMO, Virginia Tech is the flagship engineering college in Virginia so it’s a significant benefit to graduate from VT over VCU. </p>

<p>I have no idea though whether it is better to apply for a transfer now or during the second year at VCU. Hopefully, someone who transferred from VCU in prior years will be on this board and can provide detailed advice. If not, check out the VT website for transfer applicants, visit VT, and ask specific questions of admissions. Good luck</p>

<p>I think it is worth it, especially if the cost is the same. I don’t know anything about VCU engineering, but VT’s engineering school is very highly regarded. In terms of jobs, on-campus recruiting is huge as a ton of different companies recruit on campus. Also, there are a variety of different careers and industries which engineers pursue after college, so do not think you will be stuck with a limited choice of jobs. There is an online post-grad survey which lists where people are employed after graduation, so that should give you a good idea.</p>