Transfer into Architecture?

<p>I was just accepted into VT for university studies but not for my intended major (architecture). I was wandering how hard is it to transfer into the School of Architecture after the first semester? How many apply to transfer and how many are actually accepted?</p>

<p>This could play a major part in my decision about whether or not to go to Tech, so any information is appreciated!</p>

<p>(Not sure if it is of any relevance now but here are my stats):</p>

<p>GPA: 4.04 (weighted) at the time I applied but recently brought it up to 4.06
SAT: 1870 (620 reading, 610 math, and 640 writing)
ACT: 29
APs: US History and Psychology (last year) and AB Calculus, Statistics, US Government, and Literature (this year)
I'm also in my second year of CADD</p>

<p>Ryan, check this and under question #2 of FAQ there is a link that will discuss “internal transfers” into CAUS. You would apply in the spring and if accepted, you would then be required to do both summer school Design Lab sessions. Then, they review your work to see if you can continue into the program. Hope the info helps with your decision:</p>

<p>[Undergraduate</a> Students | CAUS](<a href=“http://www.caus.vt.edu/students/undergraduate]Undergraduate”>http://www.caus.vt.edu/students/undergraduate)</p>

<p>Very hard. You’ll have to do all the design lab stuff and then there is still a chance that you won’t be accepted and that a lot of your previous classes will now be basically useless. And that actually does happen. CAUS students have a huge workload as it is, and yours will be even more. Only do this if you’re really, really, really, really sure you want to do Architecture, that you’re good at it, and that you’re willing to go an extra year and put in a ton of extra work to get in.</p>

<p>It is VERY difficult to get in. They only take about 30 students for architecture from tech not including those who transfer from different schools. I was in the same situation as you. I was admitted to University Studies and decided to go to VT instead of other schools that offered me admissions directly to architecture. I fell in love with the campus and the Arch school and I knew this was where I wanted to go, and I ended up getting accepted to architecture.</p>

<p>If you choose to come to tech make sure you become familiar with the school and visit Cowgill (the arch building) often. Make friends with the students and talk with the professors. The more they see your face the better. During spring semester is when you apply to the school. You will also have an interview with the director of architecture. After that she will decided if you qualified to take the Summer Design Lab.</p>

<p>The process is difficult, but if you really have a passion for architecture and are willing to do whatever it takes, it is definitely worth the risk. I say you visit tech and see if it’s the right place for you.</p>