Transfer, Off-Campus living, and Sorority information need

<p>Hello all I am new to this forum but have been reading the threads for some time now and have pulled much info from them but not quite what I’m looking for:</p>

<p>To start I am a Biology major(pre- med) with thoughts of changing my major to Philosophy. I am going into my 3rd year of college at my 2nd school(first school was horrible and unprofessional) and I am planning to transfer to Bama Spring 2014 or Summer 2014(Transient until fall) with enough credits to go in as a junior and I would like to know if there is any other information I need to know about such as: transferring credits, adjusting to a new larger campus, handling class sizes, joining clubs, if I could enjoy all the activities coming in so late, etc. It has been difficult because I am really getting no where with my present counselors and the school advisors and such especially when I am trying to plan ahead and prepare myself.</p>

<p>Next I would like to discuss off-campus living. My parents and I are planning to check out some nice lofts and apartments that have recently opened. My major choices are:
Green Bear Lofts(new)
Crimson Student Living
East Edge
University Village Tuscaloosa
The Lofts at City Center(new)
Avenue at Tuscaloosa(new)
I am truly looking for a safe place that is gated and secured. Coming down for the games in Fall have really helped me to realize that all of Tuscaloosa is not all that “safe” looking per-say and I want my safety first as well a piece of mind. So if anyone has any suggestions on great places to stay or which parts of the town to stay in I am open to all advice.</p>

<p>Lastly, I want to talk on Sororities. Once again there isn’t much information on the website that helps me figure out what needs to be done and the research I have found comes off as misleading so… I am interested in the NPHC organizations and am quite confused on whether or not I will be able to go through the process of joining my first year into college since I will not be able to make it to convocations they have in the spring. Also does anyone here think I’ll have a chance with the NPC organizations since I am a openminded person and honestly open to anything. </p>

<p>I am just truly lost and am trying to not say anything offensive, hoping someone can give me some kind of insight, since I do not want to say to much on this topic.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the help and ROLL TIDE ;)</p>

<p>Reference the NPHC question, there looks like convocation is in the fall with a makeup in the spring. If you transfer in Spring or Summer, that will give you enough time to get the credit & GPA requirement up to standard and be prepared for the upcoming fall convocation. Maybe your organization of interest has a MIP that fall, but from my research it seems that Spring is the more popular choice.</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>Yes, since Ttown covers a large geographical area, there are better areas and some not-so-great areas.</p>

<p>The apt areas that you mention are ok.</p>

<p>How many years will you be at UA? If you’ll only be here for two years, then you’d want to pledge ASAP, right? </p>

<p>I think it’s always easier to transfer as a Fall admit because of all the big Welcoming activities that are in the fall.</p>

<p>Are you finishing your frosh year now? Did you try to get admitted for this Fall? If not, you should contact the school and find out if you can transfer for this fall.</p>

<p>Thank you back2kcab, I definitely found the information you are referring too on the student affairs website, hopefully they will have some type of MIP during fall because from my impression the spring convocation seemed to be mandatory. nonetheless if this is the case Ill just join a club or just focus until next year.</p>

<p>Thank you mom2collegekids, I figure the choices I had we’re pretty good just wanted some reassurance I suppose.</p>

<p>But depending on when I go in I definitely may be there for about 2-3 years maybe longer but it depends on deciding to get my masters from UA. </p>

<p>But like you said I am hoping to go through this process ASAP but just don’t know if I will be able to do it when I get there. Will I be to late? Have enough of everything? Am allowed as a transfer for my first year?</p>

<p>But I definitely agree with you, it may be best to just be admitted into Fall since I will be able to enjoy the activities. But am still considering becoming a transient student in the summer and then going into a new semester.</p>

<p>And I am considered to be finishing my 2nd year and I have contemplated about fall but decided against it since I will other have enough credit to become a rising sophomore. If I go next year I have the chance to become a rising senior as well a better chance of getting into honors classes and getting good scholarships.</p>

<p>Re: NPHC sororities - I am no expert, but from what I have gleaned from another forum, you must be an upperclassman with an establish GPA to rush. Transfer - I don’t know. You must select the sorority you wish to join and do extensive research on their history and particulars. You must befriend members of that sorority before you join. You must go to the NPHC convocation. It is highly recommended that you attend any kind of public event hosted by that sorority. That would include philanthropic activities.
Good luck to you!!</p>