Transfer question

I’m accepted as a transfer student for spring 2018 but I don’t know how I supposed to register for class since I don’t know which course is equivalent to which course so I don’t have to retake, clearly the title name is the same but I don’t know if TAMU accept. Am I supposed to talk to an advisor before registering class? But how? Do I contact them around now or wait until NSC to talk to them? And how do I know which advisor do I contact? Is that my major advisor? I’m really confused, will the NSC be giving all of this information for transferring students?

The second question is I’ve heard you can drop 6 classes according to TX law, I haven’t dropped any classes but let assume that if I drop one class this semester, do I still get 6 drops at TAMU or only 5? And will dropping 1 class affect the admission decision? (Im currently taking 5 classes with 18 credit hours, I probaly won’t drop but just to make sure in case if I have trouble with a class. ) Thank you!!

any advice???

@motconga123 Sorry… hope this isn’t too late in response to your questions! First, you MUST attend the New Student Conference in January for transfers. This is when you will also meet with your advisor and register for classes. You will not or actually cannot register unless you go to NSC.

Second… you are allowed 6 total Q drops in the state of Texas. HOWEVER, TAMU only allows 4 at TAMU. So if you do one this semester at current school, you will have 4 at TAMU, not 5. Make sense? AND unless your acceptance into TAMU was based on current courses having to be taken for admission, then you do not have to worry about Q dropping. It should have stated something in your acceptance. For instance, if your GPA falls below a certain point or accused of academic misconduct, etc. then your admission could be reviewed again. It might be best to email an admissions office and ask the question just to be sure. Hope this helps. Congrats and welcome to Aggieland!

Thanks you so much!! @YourCollegeMom, I already registered for NSC at the day of my acceptance. So I guess now I just need to relax, and I’m not going to drop any classes since it’s going well for me. Thanks you!

here’s the link for course equivalency https://compass-ssb.tamu.edu/pls/PROD/bwxkwtes.P_TransEquivMain

@motconga123 yes definitely take that breath. We were so worried about registration with my transfer daughter last spring since all current students had already registered BUT your advisor already has an idea for you and there will be room.

I will be at the conference too! If you have any questions I’m happy to help.

@YourCollegeMom oh, I have one more question. When I applied to TAMU, I sent transcript that had grades of Spring 2017 but I was taking summer classes. Then, in the fall, I haven’t heard back from TAMU so I was anxious so I sent my transcript again which included the grade from summer. Then, after acceptance, there was a tick mark that TAMU had received my final transcript from my university, but I’m currently taking fall classes in my current university (I will start my semester at TAMU at spring 2018). So do I have to resend my transcript once I received grades for fall 2017? because I really wanted these class to transfer, like basically what should I do?? Thank you!

Yes! You have to send final transcript but it won’t have any weight on your admission unless you totally bomb the semester. Every college class you take including dual is part of your college file. For instance you can’t pick and choose what will transfer to tamu. They want it all and will apply courses accordingly. Does that make sense?

@YourCollegeMom yes, I understood but what I’m saying that do I still have to send my fall 2017 transcript since there’s already a tick mark on college transfer final grades. I mean I haven’t receive grade for fall 2017, why there’s already ticked mark for final grade? do I have to send my final grade for fall 2017? Thank you!

Yes. You have to send them in to be added to your file. I have no idea why it’s marked as in but they will require it. No question. Tamu will apply the transfer credits. If it doesn’t transfer directly then it would probably go as an elective. Also, meet with your academic advisor before spring starts if you can. You’ll be able to see exactly how the classes will transfer. They can work some magic!!!

@YourCollegeMom thanks you! I’ve asked the admission and they said that their record indicate that I’m taking fall classes at my current school. When do I have to send the final transcript? Once the grade is posted? Or when I complete my last final? And the process of sending transcript is normal like what I’ve done before, nothing special right? Thanks you!

You will send the final transcript in as soon it’s final. The school will send it directly once you request it. Has to be official. So yes, nothing special. Good luck on finals! Almost there!!! Welcome to Aggieland!

@YourCollegeMom so you mean when the final grade is posted? Thanks you!

@motconga123 Did you request your transcript to be sent to TAMU already? FYI I’m the one in the above posts but had to change my name. Hope all is well and you are looking forward to the NSC!! Oh and go to Howdy Camp or T Camp as I call it.

@AggieMomhelp I received final grade for fall 2017 semester yesterday, and I will send my transcript to a&m again. I also just received an email for T camp too, I’m really nervous, should I attend it, will there be a lots of transfer students or just freshmen? Thank you!

@motconga123 I cannot stress enough how much fun you will have at T camp. I think it should be required like the NSC! There will only be Transfer students at this camp. You will meet a lot of people so that when you start in January, you have a go to person or group should you need anything. AND you might just find your future best friend. I know so many that do!!! Have a Merry Christmas!!