Transfer Question

<p>Hey guys</p>

<p>I was just rejected freshman admission, but I've been thinking I still kinda wanna go here. They sent a pamphlet about transferring with the rejection letter, and it said you need 24 transferrable credits in order to transfer. </p>

<p>I'm in dual enrollment right now and I'll have 10 credits after my senior year of HS (PLUS 4's on some AP exams, so that credit too). So if, for example, I went to UW-La Crosse and took 14 credits my first semester, even though I'd still be a freshman, could I transfer to Madison for Fall 2011 as a 2nd semester freshman (2nd semester of next year) or would I have to wait till Fall of 2011?</p>

<p>I thought the same thing, I asked and it is a very slim chance of happening. Probably have to wait for sophmore year, I just applied for transfer for next year after going through the same process.</p>

<p>The issue is whether all your credits are transferable. You’d need to work closely with your advisor at UW-La Crosse to determine that.</p>

<p>You can check with UW admissions about that. Also see the UW registrar’s site and use the transfer credit info for schools to see how those credits transfer. Could happen although it is probably better to spend the whole freshman year at La Crosse instead of starting with the mindset “I’m outta here ASAP”, enjoy your first year of college. There are a lot of new student activites that even a transfer would benefit from in the fall while second semester is in the middle of things.</p>

<p>They usually do not count your AP credits towards those 24 that you need for the transfer; however, I am not 100% sure of that.</p>

<p>When in doubt ask the source, ie ask admissions in an email.</p>

<p>I’m curious about this too. I want to get to Madison ASAP and not be bored in River Falls for 2 years…</p>

<p>As wis75 said, just send an email to admissions. I e-mailed them many times and all of their replies were extremely helpful.</p>

<p>To see if your credits transfer the best thing you can do is use the UW transfer wizard online. I used the wizard to determine what I would have transfer and it turned out to be 100% correct. It allowed me to correctly determine how many credits I would have in Madison even before I got the official letter detailing what transferred. It also let me pick classes that I knew would transfer for the semester before I came.</p>

<p>I just sent Transfer Admissions an email about this.</p>

<p>Okay,they replied to me and apparently the required 24 credits to transfer have to be earned AFTER high school graduation, and for transfer students, dual-enrollment credits from high school are NOT accepted. Which makes virtually no sense to me. This is too confusing.</p>

<p>What doesn’t make sense? It’s a pretty straightforward statement. Once you take 24 credits of class/are in progress of it, at another institution, not while in high school you can transfer. </p>

<p>Basically right now, you’re not a freshman in college. You’re a senior in high school and no amount of AP of college credit classes are going to change that. When you get to Madison, those classes can help you, but they can’t help you transfer. The college you attend this fall won’t even recognize those classes on your transcript until spring semester/well in to fall semester.</p>

<p>It’s perfectly logical of them to want you to actually spend a year somewhere else before they’ll accept you. Heck, they wouldn’t even be basing your acceptance for spring on your fall semester grades. You have to apply by October 1st; you know how much you’ve probably done between the time you were rejected and then? Not much, and they know that.</p>

<p>Besides, transferring for spring semester your *freshman *year is just… a bad idea. The experience between fall and spring is so vastly different, especially for freshman. Enjoy your freshman experience at another school. It can still be great, but work hard towards transferring to the school you want to be at.</p>

<p>^ Ah, you got me wrong. That makes sense to me 100%,</p>

<p>What DOESN’T make sense is that she told me that regardless of how many college credits I get in high school and where I go to school next year (assuming I start at Madison Fall 2011), the dual-enrollment that I’m currently earning in HS (32 credits) will NOT transfer to Madison regardlewhen I get there. So basically I’ve been wasting my time dual-enrolling because Madison won’t accept any of this crap.</p>

<p>Okay, I see what you mean.</p>

<p>Are you sure that’s what they meant though? I think they’re just trying to emphasize that you can’t use those credits, the dual enrollment ones, as your basis for transferring; That you have to earn 24 credits as a freshman in college, but the credits will transfer to UW after *you *transfer. </p>

<p>I would ask them again (unless you specifically asked this not in regard to transferring universities) if the credits you earned in dual enrollment will transfer if you are accepted to the university, because there’s no logical reason why they wouldn’t, and they probably would just transfer as elective credit. Your AP credits, if you have any, will transfer if you submit the results to them.</p>

<p>^ I’m just as confused as you are. It seems counterintuitive for them not to accept dual-enrollment credit, seeing that the purpose of dual enrollment is KIND OF to get college credit, no?</p>

<p>Here’s the reply they sent me back:</p>

<p>From: “Transfer Transfer” <a href=“mailto:transfer@admissions.wisc.edu”>transfer@admissions.wisc.edu</a>Add sender to </p>

<p>Dear Ben,</p>

<p>In order to be eligible for transfer admission, you must have completed or have in progress at least 24 semester hours of college–level work after you have graduated high school. The 24 credit rule does not include AP credit or college credit completed during high school. These credits must be completed or in progress after you have graduated high school. </p>

<p>You are more than welcome to apply for the fall 2011 term once you have fulfilled the 24 credit hour requirement. Keep in mind that while your college courses completed in high school may exempt you from and grant you credit for introductory classes at the institution you attend this fall, they will not be accepted when and if you enroll at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and will not count toward your degree. Please be aware that the fall 2011 application deadline is February 1, 2011. </p>

<p>Thank you for your email and have a nice day.</p>

<p>STT</p>

<p>I believe what the letter is saying is that you can’t double up on the credit for the college courses you’re taking while in High School. Since you need to attend an institution other than Wisconsin after your high school career ends, it is that institution that will determine what credit, if any, you get for the college courses you’ve already taken. You need to take 24 credit hours, not counting any AP, or concurrent college credits, at this other institution. If those 24 credit hours are for classes that you would otherwise not be eligible to take except for your APs and concurrent college credits, that’s where they will figure into the credits accepted by Wisconsin.</p>