<p>High School Statistics</p>

<hr>

<p>GPA - 3.84 (4.0 scale)/ 3.9 before second semester senior year
WGPA - 4.56 (5.0 scale)/4.6 before second semester senior year</p>

<p>ACT - 35 (I got an 8 on the writing though)</p>

<p>SAT subject tests
Math 2 - 800
Physics - 730</p>

<p>APs - US Government - 4, World History - 4, Psychology - 5, Comparative Government - 4, Computer Science AB - 5, Calculus AB - 5, Environmental Science - 5.</p>

<p>EC -
Varsity wrestling for all four years. Captain for junior and senior year.
JV Lacrosse freshman year.
Varsity Lacrosse sophomore year.
260 Hours Community Service.
Junior Officer of the National Honor Society junior year, President for senior year.
Worked as a lifeguard over the 2007 and 2008 summers.
During the 2008 summer I was the captain of a community service project that assembles 3000 backpacks for underprivileged students.</p>

<p>Awards -
Certificate of Meritorious Service - 260 hours of community service
AP Scholar with Distinction
Maryland Distinguished Scholar Honorable Mention</p>

<p>Slight upward trend throughout high school until second semester senior year when I received three A's and four B's.</p>

<p>College information</p>

<hr>

<p>I am a freshman at the University of Miami. I am in the Foote Fellowship at the University and am on a 28,000/year scholarship.</p>

<p>I will likely finish the semester with a B, B+, A+, and A which works out to a 3.5 or so GPA.</p>

<p>I am a senator in the Undergraduate Senate, occupying one of the four seats representing the School of Arts and Sciences. I am also a member of the Cinematic Arts Commission which is the club on campus that shows all of the movies and holds special events related to movies.</p>

<hr>

<p>I'm not too familiar with Wisconsin but feel like it would be a much better match for me than Miami has been so far. Does anyone know what my odds of getting in would be? Also, are there any scholarships I could get as a transfer? I'm from Maryland, and went to Thomas S. Wootton High School, a very high achieving public school. Any insight would be wonderful! Thanks!</p>

<p>Your scores are great, and your grades are pretty good, so I think you would get accepted, but not much money is available for oos transfers.
Why do you think Wisconsin would be a better fit?</p>

<p>Stats good for transfer. No free money, though. You need to think of UW as a pay your own way/ get need based aid (loans, work…). Do you think of UW as a better fit because of the better academics? Does UW have the major you are interested in? Look at the UW site regarding your proposed major to see what if there may be a wait list to get into it- eg business, some engineering majors, nursing, education have more than just a required minimum gpa at UW, they have competitive admissions. You get admitted to the university as a whole regardless of major. Spend time on the UW website.</p>

<p>I’ve looked over the website a little and can’t seem to find many major scholarships. I always wanted a bigger school with more of what you hear is a “college experience.” You will not get that here at Miami.</p>

<p>I’m just not seeing myself at Miami for four years. As for the program at Wisconsin, they have the a major with a different name that seems to be essentially the same major.</p>

<p>So the idea of scholarships from the school is pretty much hopeless?</p>

<p>Yeah, large publics that already have excellent student bodies don’t need to offer enticements to well qualified students. Miami isn’t exactly an LAC, hard to understand the feeling of the lack of a real college experience.</p>

<p>Have you ever been here? There’s only diversity in race, not much in class. Everyone loves spending a hundred dollars a night to drive forty five minutes to club in South Beach, football games are an hour away and the stadium doesn’t even fill up. If UMiami was actually in Miami, it would be a different story. It’s not even that close though. Twenty minutes with no traffic and over forty five with traffic.</p>

<p>And there are only 9,000 students, making it not that different in size from a LAC. It’s only a few thousand off from the average size of a LAC. If you went here, you’d understand that it’s not the college experience you’d have at a state school or a private school in the city.</p>

<p>I was last on the campus 45 years ago so it’s not quite relevant. My Dad taught there 25 years but wasn’t on the main campus. I doubt everyone spends 100s a night in South Beach. Coral Gables isn’t exactly the boonies but I do understand the stadium situation. But no point in arguing, you’re not happy and that’s all that matters.</p>

<p>In the Big Ten UMinn has the cheapest OOS tuition. In general I don’t think large OOS publics will have much merit for transfers and will cost alot OOS. Anything wrong with UMd and in state tuition now that you have some college experience?</p>

<p>Where I wish I had gone was Pitt. At Pitt and Maryland, I turned down full tuition after being accepted for freshman year. I really shot myself in the foot. Based on money, seems like if I want a state school, Maryland would be the only reasonable option. I don’t have anything against it other than the campus. I don’t really like College Park. I’ll have to think it over though. It’s just frustrating to think that I could have gone there for 6,000 a year or so and now by making a stupid choice in coming to Miami, It’s be full price. I looked up the scholarships at Maryland and they literally offer nothing to anyone who is in-state but transferred out of state. Unless you get it through the department you apply to.</p>

<p>Transferring seems to be such a frustrating process already and I haven’t even applied anywhere.</p>

<p>I meant Maryland offers no scholarships for those who are in-state but decide to attend an out of state university.</p>