Transfer scholarships/Rushing as an old-lady

<p>I’m a transfer from a community college looking to go to Alabama. Getting into Alabama isn’t my concern, but I would like to know what my chances are at getting a large scholarship to finish out my education. Also, I know it sounds lame, but I want to rush (as a transferring junior). I have a couple of members in my family who have previously been in a top tier sorority (and 2 current members). I’m really debating going into a christian sorority on campus, but would really love to continue the family line in the specific “family” top tier sorority. My only concern with rushing is I would hate to not receive a bid from any of the sororities that I’m looking at because of my grade (and yes I know you’re supposed to keep an “open mind”, but I’d rather not be the family joke.) And is there a sorority specifically for pharm or med students? Can someone inform me on how competitive it really is both on the transferring scholarship level and in the rushing aspect?</p>

<p>GPA: 3.9
ACT: 26
Major: Chemistry, looking to go into pre-pharm
Collegiate achievements (not including shadowing and community service):
-freshman year: chair of the fright fest committee, member of campus activity board, member of RHA, SGA senator, inducted into Phi Theta Kappa honor society.
-sophomore year: SGA treasurer, Phi Theta Kappa Vice-President, campus ambassador, member of RHA, plus a couple of other clubs that are less important.</p>

<p>I don’t think there are any large scholarships for transfer students. </p>

<p>Even if you were an incoming frosh, I don’t think an ACT 26 gets much/anything in merit. </p>

<p>Are you instate? If you can’t afford to attend Bama, what are your other options?</p>

<p>They tried to offer me a soccer scholarship when I first attended a camp, but I really didn’t want to play athletics in college. Most colleges don’t look at ACT when transferring, they mainly look at GPA. Yes I am instate. And yes, I can afford it. But I’ve already received offers for 3/4th-rides at other colleges and it would be a smarter move on my part to take those offers rather than nothing. I really just want to extend the Alabama family tradition and if there is any chance that they would give me ANY money at all so I can keep them as a contender. </p>

<p><<<
But I’ve already received offers for 3/4th-rides at other colleges
<<<</p>

<p>Nice! which schools have offered you awards? and how much is each school offering? </p>

<p>As for Bama offering “any” money, there are some small transfer awards. Are you attending a AL community college? Are you a member of PTK? If not, you should join. often there is merit associated with that.</p>

<p>When you say “any” money…how much do you need/want?</p>

<p>""To select scholarship recipients, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the National Alumni Association, and The University of Alabama’s undergraduate colleges and schools use the scholarship application on myBama for freshman and transfer students “”</p>

<p>also…
If your family are alums, then they can join the Alumni club and I think you automatically get a small award for that.</p>

<p>The Alumni Scholarships below are available to children and grandchildren of UA degree holders who are also members of the National Alumni Association:</p>

<p>Alumni Heritage Scholarship (PDF) <a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/14-15HeritageFlyer.pdf”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/14-15HeritageFlyer.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Alumni Scholar Award (PDF) <a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/14-15ScholarFlyer.pdf”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/14-15ScholarFlyer.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My post upthread is wrong…There are 5 full tuition awards for transfers…see the ******</p>

<p>also see the PTK awards …see the @@@@</p>

<p>also see the &&&&</p>

<p>Other opps as well…what is your major??</p>

<p>SCHOLARSHIPS FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS</p>

<p>Transfer students must submit the following by March 1 prior to their intended fall enrollment in order to receive priority consideration for academic scholarships:</p>

<p>Complete the application for admission
Complete the application for scholarships
Step-by-step instructions for completing the scholarship application
Official college transcripts from all colleges attended
Required scholarship documentation (if applicable)
While the majority of transfer scholarships are limited to students transferring from a 2-year community college, the Alumni Scholarship Program does have a limited number of scholarships available for students who are transferring from a 4-year college/university. All transfer scholarships are for the fall term of the student’s transfer year.</p>

<p>To complete the scholarship application, go to myBama, log in, click the Academics tab, and select the Application for Scholarships link in the Admissions box.</p>

<p>Once a scholarship application has been submitted, changes cannot be made to the application online. All changes must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Scholarships using our contact form.</p>

<p>To be considered for the following scholarships, students must be admitted based on materials received by March 1 before the fall they plan to enroll and transfer from a 2-year college (with at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA over 2 years of coursework):</p>

<p>*****Alabama’s Promise
Student Financial Aid provides 5 Community College Honors Scholarships — Tuition for two years (student must transfer as a junior from an Alabama community college)</p>

<p>&&&& National Alumni Association awards 10 Community College Honors Scholarships — $1500 per year plus a book grant of $300 for two years (student must transfer as a junior with demonstrated leadership skills)</p>

<p>Undergraduate Admissions awards 5 scholarships to All-Alabama Academic Team members — $1000 per year for two years plus a book grant of $300 for two years (student must be named to the team and enroll during the fall)</p>

<p>@@@@ Undergraduate Admissions awards 5 Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships — $1000 per year for two years (student must be a member of the PTK organization at a community college)</p>

<p>The Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration awards 10 Entrepreneurial Scholarships — $1000 per year for two years</p>

<p>The College of Continuing Studies, Adult Student Programs, awards scholarships to students ages 25 and older</p>

<p>Variable scholarships are available to, but not earmarked for, transfer students in Arts & Sciences, Communication & Information Sciences, Education, Engineering, Human Environmental Sciences, Nursing, and Social Work</p>

<p>Thank you so much!</p>

<p>I can’t help you with the scholarships, but as far as sorority recruitment…what you call the “top tier” groups generally only take a handful of sophomores. If they take a junior or two, it’s someone that has a personal connection, such as a biological sister in the chapter, or the daughter of an alumna active with the chapter. Also, legacies do not mean a whole lot anymore, even in the most traditional “old row” groups. There are so many young women clamoring to join, they can be as picky as they want. Make sure your relatives check their sorority’s definition of legacy. Some keep it to only sisters and mothers. Others include grandmothers and aunts and steps. Every group has their own definition.</p>

<p>My advice to upperclassmen is to A) have excellent - not just good, but EXCELLENT - grades and B) open your mind to any sorority on campus. In the end, the experience at any sorority will be pretty much the same. All the sororities have outstanding women, average women, beauties, athletes, party women…with 300-400 members each, you should be able to find your special sisters in any group. That said, even if you pledge, look around and join another group of two. It will broaden your friend base, keep you active on campus, and make your experience at UA that much richer.</p>

<p>Thank you so much, you’ve been a huge help!</p>