Transfer - Spring 2017

Hey guys, so right now I’m attending UCSC and my major is undeclared engineering. I graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA, over 100 volunteer hours, 7 IB classes, but a pretty Average SAT 1500. In my first quarter (UC’s go by quarters) I took Econ, Precalculus, and our required English/Writing. And this is where the problem comes in, I ended up with a 2.56 GPA (A in English/Writing, B- in Econ, and D in Precalculus), this quarter I’ll bump it up to a 3.0. I’m interested in Petroleum Engineering and I’ll have the required coursework for admission done prior to the Spring 2017 due date. If I can bump my GPA up to a 3.2-3.4 do you think they’ll overlook the fact that I screwed up in my first quarter? Any suggestions are more than appreciated.

Why do you want to transfer? Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your chances of getting into Pet Eng. are extremely slim to none - it is a very competitive major consistently ranked top in the country.

I’m surprised that you are in a pre calculus class coming from an IB school - did you not take math or sciences? I think maybe you need some tutoring help, if you are moving forward with a D in pre calc, you will struggle in Calc I, II & III. Math is progressive, you would benefit to retake pre calculus if you can, especially if you are looking to transfer to another school. If you’re in pre calculus, you also haven’t begun physics nor advanced chemistry. Maybe get another quarter of engineering based classes to see if you’re a good fit for the major before planning your next move. Good luck!

Thanks AGmomx2, currently I’m taking advanced Chem and Calc 1. I realized that college is no place to let things try and figure themselves out, I’m working my a** off this quarter and plan to see by the end of it if I plan to stick with engineering. Thanks.