Transfer Students FALL 2013

<p>I only got 27000 ish and that includes 3000 work/study grant. And plus11000 in loans. Thats a lot of debt :confused: and not even enough.</p>

<p>@jus2cool4life, Thereā€™s no way itā€™s that much, I was pretty sure it around 50k if you live on campus and with a meal plan. 61k is as much as Harvard! You sure?</p>

<p>Holy hell? It is 61kā€¦ You got to be kidding me! The financial aid I got barely makes a dent! @_@ 14k, 3k including work study, 22k if you include loans, which I doubt I want on meā€¦ If I go here with what I have, Iā€™m literally never ever going outā€¦</p>

<p>11000 of the 60k is dorms/food plan, making tuition around 50k, which still covers barely anything. Theonly choice is getting an apt w a roomate but thereā€™s still a large sum to pay>.<</p>

<p>So, does anybody here think they can still attend despite the financial aid they received?</p>

<p>@teblue23 Iā€™m still considering. You?</p>

<p>@annaigorevna- Since you have a 3.9, you should join PTK and can qualify for a 8,000-16000 transfer scholarship</p>

<p>@mellyjelly Iā€™m still considering. What is the GPA requirement to join the PTK?</p>

<p>@teblue23, I doubt it, my parents are already hesitant about me leaving my current college (currently in a 6-year PharmD program, which would make a pharmacist at the end of six years, but I donā€™t want to be a pharmacist), my mum is still pretty adamant about me staying or going to the cheapest college possibleā€¦</p>

<p>Anybody know of any scholarships that are still available at this time?</p>

<p>@teblue23- 3.0 I believe. Whatā€™s your major?</p>

<p>@teblue23, Iā€™m trying to look for scholarships too. :confused: Anything that would lower that tuition cost down!</p>

<p>@melly I plan to major in Public Relations. Do you know if itā€™s too late to join the PTK at this time?</p>

<p>If we plan to live off campus and not purchase any meal plans will we still have to pay the $10K for housing and meal plans? Iā€™m asking since Iā€™ve seen other schools still make you pay a part of this fee if you live off campus.
Even with $29,000 in loans, grants and scholarships 61K is way to much haha

<p>I received 23,000 in grants/scholarships plus 9,000 in federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans with my FAFSA EFC of 3800. Although I got into a lot of state schools (NJ) that are essentially offering me tuition at 7-15K a year with scholarships, I am willing to take out larger loans to go to UMiami. I feel like it will be worth it for the strength of the academic program and post-graduations career connections. </p>

<p>I am sure many of you are in a similar situation, any thoughts?</p>

<p>@teblue23, For you to receive any PTK scholarship, it is likely too late to join PTK. By this time, UMiami has already allocated their scholarship funds. The only chance you would have is if you came to the office of financial assistance with an appeal.</p>

<p>PTK requires a 3.5 GPA or higher and usually requires an invitation by your collegeā€™s chapter.</p>

<p>Also, they are VERY selective about the 16,000K PTK scholarship. I have a 3.8 and am my chapterā€™s president and I didnā€™t even get it.</p>

<p>I donā€™t think my current college even has PTK.</p>

<p>Did any of you guys receive a 2012 low income statement form to complete from FA?</p>

<p>can a junior transfer have a small single room? I donā€™t really want a roommate.</p>

<p>@mellyjelly

@teblue23

@agiatezza2

@Bound4Gr8ness

</p>

<p>Iā€™ve seen the questions and comments about housing preferences on this thread over the last few weeks and was wondering if any of you have talked to the housing office about on campus availability? Unfortunately, on campus housing is in very limited supply and as far as I know is only guaranteed for returning freshmen. </p>

<p>A lottery has been held for the last few years right after spring break. If you are ā€˜selectedā€™ in the lottery, your housing priority number is based on the length of time youā€™ve lived on campus.</p>

<p>My daughter, a current freshman (but technically a junior due to AP credits which allowed her to enter both lotteries) opted in for both the residence halls and UV but was only selected in the lottery for the halls, not the separate lottery for UV. We met a transfer student last August during move in who was moving into the off campus Red Road apartment complex - he told us he wasnā€™t able to obtain campus housing since he was a transfer student. </p>

<p>This is just based on our experience and what Iā€™ve heard from others - please contact housing directly to get the whole story - perhaps space on campus might open up later in the spring/summer? </p>

<p>The residential life department has a Facebook page here :
<a href=ā€œFacebookā€>Facebook;

<p>If you search CCā€™s Miami board youā€™ll find many posts in the past dedicated to the lottery system and housing in general, but a call to the housing office is probably the very best way to ensure you know all your options. I would suggest that you call or email housing to find out your options as a potential transfer student asap.</p>