transfer students: rate your experience!

<p>hey people! i recently read in the paper that transfer student happiness has been a weak spot at UW, and im trying to see what some of your opinions are.
give it a 1-10 ranking in whatever categories you like :D</p>

<p>I think all transfer students miss the bonding that comes with freshman year and that cannot be replaced. That's why I always question people who go to one 4 year place assuming they will transfer the next year and have a better life. Not that easy.</p>

<p>I'm probably one of the exceptions. I KNOW I'm going to like UW more than Iowa for many reasons. Among them:</p>

<ol>
<li>I have been a Badger fan my whole life</li>
<li>I am going to have a kickass apartment next year</li>
<li>I like Madison more than Iowa City</li>
<li>I already know like three dozen people that go to UW and am good friends with many of them.</li>
<li>I can't wait to get in the poli sci program.</li>
</ol>

<p>'nuff said (for me at least).</p>

<p>The key is to reach out. </p>

<p>I was a transfer student and lived at Witte - the party dorm. But, first semester was horrible. I tried to adjust to the academic rigor at UW and to maintain my perfect transcript (didn't get 4.0 but close ~3.978 on that first semester). I barely knew my roommate and much less partying. I was burnt up before Thanksgiving. After my last final on the way to NYC for the winter break, I just decided that I wasn't going to spend the rest of time @ Madison like that. I started to "work hard play hard". Really got involved with clubs/sports and started forming my circles of good friends, started dating and have been living happily ever after as a Badger. ;)</p>

<p>I think you can't just expect people/opportunities to come to you at Madison. You need to take charge to personalize the vast resources to create your own UW experience. Anyone who does that will leave Madison fully prepared and memories that last a lifetime.</p>

<p>hah adjusting to the academic rigor...i wish i was told all of this before i transferred</p>

<p>my grades WILL show it to.</p>