Transfer to Northwestern CS vs Rutgers full ride

Then no issue - no one will ever see your degree…just your transcript.

1 Like

I just proofed a resume that was half classes and i was like - what about you???

I guess we can agree to disagree here.

I want the person to sell them, not that they took certain classes.

Obviously it shouldn’t take half the page, but 1 (2 max) line highlighting relevant coursework is invaluable IMO. We can agree to disagree indeed and OP can check with each business whether it’s sth HR/person they’re directing their resume to wants to see or not :slight_smile:

That’s good enough.

1 Like

My son had two lines of a very tightly written course list, and it was absolutely essential in my opinion. To get called for interviews.

It probably also depends on whether the job is sufficiently technical or not.

In the case of the OP, they can lead that section with something like, “ Also significant coursework towards a BS in CS — undergrad courses: data structures, graphics, comp arch, cryptography; grad courses: graph algorithms, cryptography, ml/ai, mechanism design; CS departmental GPA 4.0”. This could be right below the “BS in Business with courses in marketing, finance, MIS, Accounting “
… just as an example. Not that the application reader understands all this stuff. Just that it is a signaling mechanism that you’ve done some tough stuff, and still the GPA is 4 or whatever.

Only a few companies look at the transcript, and the people doing the initial screen are not usually competent to look through the transcript to filter. A lot of times it is also machines doing the filtering with key words.

OP should also put “full ride merit scholarship” on their resume if they choose to stay at Rutgers, or even if they move.

I won’t opine on the move to Northwestern except to say that geography also matters in getting jobs — NYC vs Chicago is a factor. Rebuilding your social network in the junior year is tough.

By the way, my son describes the current CS recruitment market as a “flaming wreck” :-). May not be desirable to spend an extra 100k or whatever in that market. I think a chunk of the class of super high gpa CS kids got affected at his school.

1 Like

There is nothing funnier than a new grad saying- in a condescending way “I’ll explain this to you in layman’s terms” only to discover that the person interviewing him or her- from HR- actually knows MORE about the subject than they do!

I had a candidate try and explain Black-Scholes to me not long ago (I have an MBA-from a significantly more prestigious institution than his). And he got it wrong which is of course is OK. I helped him out so it’s all good.

I’d say it’s mansplaining but to assume that a professional doesn’t know what he or she is doing is the worst kind of elitism.

1 Like

I am speaking from my own experience of course. I apologize . I have a PhD in a quantitative field, and I still don’t understand the undergraduate transcripts of kids from other technical fields. Including that of my own kids. Or those of their friends. I don’t understand beyond the first page or two of their textbooks. That’s just me.

HR people specialize. You know that, right? The person hiring for roles in corporate communications doesn’t also hire for mechanical engineers and isn’t building a pipeline of talent for AI. But yes, every now and again we get candidates who assume that the HR person is a barely literate moron.

I accept your apology. And trust me- if you wanted a job in HR you would get actual training- from subject matter experts- who would teach you, and coach you, and guide you so that you had the tools to do your job correctly. Nobody gets flung into the deep end of the pool and told “We need material scientists with experience in titanium alloys who can staff a multi-disciplinary team with the mechanical engineers and the robotics experts. Experience in tribology a plus”. Like anyone else, HR people get training.

1 Like

Our recent experience in new grad hiring is for my kid — apart from the initial resume screen, for which there are tight guidelines to avoid both false negatives and false positives (the firm spends time on data science on which courses and professors at which school suggest subsequent success or failures of candidates based on a decade or more of resumes etc), I believe there was zero HR involvement in intern hiring. And almost all full time hiring comes out of the intern cohort.

1 Like

As per Forum Rules, debating is not allowed. Please move the conversation forward.

The loans puts you roughly at the federal loan maximum. I’m not a fan of major-specific scholarships. You seem to have found that out already. Northwestern seems like a better option, and you don’t have to be forced into a double major sucking up all your time.

Our son transferred to NU as a junior. In his experience, all of his credits transferred to his major and distro requirements. NU is on the quarter system, allowing you to take two extra classes yearly. This can make getting a double major more scalable without overloading your schedule.