Transfer to Northwestern or Stay at Carleton College

Why? Do you think an undergrad degree in bioengineering will look better to medical schools? If so…really medical schools don’t care at all about your undergrad major. They care that you have satisfied their prerequisites, have a strong GPA and sGPA, great LOR, great MCAT score, significant volunteering and patient contact experience, shadowing experience…and if you get this far…a great interview.

1 Like

Yes, so this student needs to decide whether they want to be an engineer even if it means 3 more semesters or several more quarters to graduation- and, separately, where- rather than try to get into a DO or MD school.
Northwestern Engineering is probably not the right choice due to their curriculum and anyway whoever told them Carleton students with a 3.5 were “basicalky guaranteed admission at Northwestern” was unlikely to be accurate or to mean " as a 2nd year Engineering student".
@NiceUnparticularMan had a very good point wrt Carleton’s Dual Degree and Pre-Engineering Advising. I hope OP goes and sees one of these advisers when Carleton resumes classes next Term.

I hope @Jasp1 clarifies…but he stated that he wanted to try the bioengineering route as a path to medical school.

Reality check…he could transfer, start those engineering courses, and decide he actually isn’t interested.

Have you met with the pre-engineering advisor?

They (Carleton) have a 3-2 with WUSTL or 3-3 for an MS.

Program Advisors – 3-2 Engineering Program – Carleton College

2 Likes

Now I am wondering if whoever said that anyone with a 3.5 Carleton GPA was a shoo-in at Northwestern meant they were an easy admit as a GRAD student. Because in my experience, lots of Carls have attended grad programs at Northwestern but there are not a significant enough number of transfer students to detect a pattern.

Anyway, the discussion above of the med school path versus the 3-2 engineering path is most salient here.

1 Like

What is your major at Carleton?

:bulb: GRAD student would indeed make a lot more sense!