Transfer to UC from community college with pass/fail

Hello, I’m a community student who’s trying to transfer to UC.
I have a question, so my major is psychology and my required class for transferring is “ statistic, psychology1, biology “

And this is required class for my major in order to Tran to UC.

Does it affect my transfer is I made my statistic pass/fail? I’m having a really hard time with stats. Do UC still accept me if I have pass/failin for my stats? Even its one of the required class for transferring?

Your best bet is to speak to your CC counselor who can assist you as a hopeful UC transfer student, but my guess is that taking a required course P/F is not ideal.

In general, a major preparation class should be taken for a letter grade, unless it is passed / not-passed only.

1 Like

You’re in college not just to take specific classes but also to learn how to learn. So this might be a good time to be sure you’re doing everything you can to learn the material in the stats class.

Let’s start with how much time you spend studying. In many math/science classes a rule of thumb is to spend 3 hours outside of class for every hour in class. Assuming your class meets 3x/week that means spending 9 hours each week from the start of the term reading the book, doing homework, doing extra problems on your own (yes, this is allowed). Are you doing this?

Second is taking advantage of the resources at your school. Have you been going to office hours to ask questions about things that aren’t clear? Also at many CC’s they have free tutoring available; have you checked to see if yours has this? It may be offered in several places including the dept, a tutoring center, or a club on campus such as the math or psych majors club.

Third is looking at online resources. Khan Academy is a good place to start. There are other websites that have advice, help, and tutorials.

Another great resource is a book like the “Statistics Problem Solver” available for less that $20 from Amazon. It’s like a SAT review book for stats with thousands of worked problems. Find the chapter matching what you’re studying in class, cover the answers, and start practicing. You can do this as part of the 9hrs/wk you spend on the class.