transfer

<p>I am currently attending the University of Miami (i'm a freshman) but I still want to go to madison (i was denied last yr when I applied as a senior in high school). I know my 1st semester grades will be good, and I understand I have to wait until march to apply but how hard is it to transfer?? Also, where do most transfer students stay??</p>

<p>Madison is pretty transfer-friendly. If you have a 3.5+, you're in good shape. Can't answer your other question.</p>

<p>Many live in the dorms- some within the transfer student dorm house, others randomly with the freshmen and others staying in the dorms.</p>

<p>I also am interested in transferring...but as of right now I'm pretty conflicted with everything that entails. I currently attend ECU and the academic/social dynamic is incredibly irritating. When I went to visit UW-M the summer before my senior year I fell in love with it, but never applied because my senior year grades were terrible and I knew I wouldn't get in. Honestly though, if I could transfer anywhere it would be to UW-M. I love the capitol atmosphere (grew up 10 minutes outside of D.C) and the fact that everyone is so aware and involved in what is going on in the world. The younger generation seemed so passionate about their studies, but also about just having a good time and enjoying the simpler things, like a farmer's market. I remember reading Annie Dillard's, "An American Childhood" near the student bookstore and this guy (who I'm assuming attended UW-M politely came up and started discussing Pilgrim at Tinker Creek with me- that would never happen in Greenville, NC. Every part of the campus/city I saw I was impressed by. The community is pretty vibrant and diverse, which is something I miss. Also, that Triple D's (haha I called it that for short, no insult implied) restaurant had the most amazing food and people...I don't know little things like that throughout my trip just really made me feel like that was the place for me. It probably sounds ridiculous in this forum but I'm sure everyone has experienced that moment when they know they're meant to be somewhere. Lastly, I admire UW-M for how rigorous its approach to research is. I think that regardless of your major, that can benefit a person immensely. I don't feel challenged here in the least and I'm sick of the endless party scene. I know every college has somewhat of one, but here it's just ridiculous. I would love to hear from alumni or others thinking of transferring though! Sorry this was so insanely long! :)</p>

<p>UW-M means UW Milwaukee- the flagship campus in Madison is just UW. I have no idea what ECU is, and it is irrelevant. I understand your love of and desire to transfer, thousands would agree. </p>

<p>Wanting to be at UW will not get you in, however passionate you are- do not use this as your reason they should take you. Check the transfer requirements and apply if/when you meet them. This means getting good grades despite antipathy towards your present school. It is easier to transfer than get in as a freshman so transferring is worth considering for rejected first time applicants.</p>

<p>Wis75:</p>

<p>Actually, UW-M, is the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the the flagship school. See the heading here: University</a> of Wisconsin-Madison. UWM is the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, no dash despite what the following link says,UW-Milwaukee:</a> Something Great in Mind. As you know it is the other doctoral degree granting UW campus.</p>

<p>ECU=East Carolina University in Greenville NC. Not a bad school, but nothing exciting.</p>

<p>does any1 know where soph transfers tend to live? ex: do statesider/towers have 1 semester leases?</p>

<p>grades008, Well, I would imagine a lot of them live in Tripp Hall, and I can tell you that I've met a bunch of transfer sophomores and juniors from there, and so far, they've all said it was a great idea to live in the transfer/upperclassmen dorm. Plus, TAS is awesome. :) And I believe most of the dorm rooms in Tripp are singles, so if you wanted privacy, it would be a good option.</p>

<p>tsdad, I've always said it like wis75 pointed out. Most things I've read have as well. UW or Wisconsin refers to UW Madison, UWM is Milwaukee. Very rarely do I see or hear Madison referred to as UWM (or UW-M, though I've never seen the dash in any name), because it would get confused with Milwaukee. It's how I, and everyone I know, does it.</p>

<p>I agree with wis75 and Pathetique-- UW-Madison IS UW, never UW-M.</p>

<p>See the university's website here:
University</a> of Wisconsin-Madison<a href="at%20the%20very%20top,%20where%20our%20name%20is%20located">/url</a>
[url=<a href="http://www.wisc.edu/academics/%5DUniversity">http://www.wisc.edu/academics/]University</a> of Wisconsin-Madison: Academics

Undergraduate</a> Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. (Also look at the top for the name of the school)
[url=<a href="http://www.wisc.edu/about/facts/%5DUniversity"&gt;http://www.wisc.edu/about/facts/]University&lt;/a> of Wisconsin-Madison: Facts<a href="look%20to%20the%20top%20and%20the%20right">/url</a></p>

<p>Look at the bottom of the page of the University of Wisconsin System page: [url=<a href="http://www.wisconsin.edu/campuses/%5DCampuses%5B/url"&gt;http://www.wisconsin.edu/campuses/]Campuses[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>Believe me, the name of the institution is University of Wisconsin-Madison. It says so on my id and the stationery we use.</p>

<p>Yeah it's called University of Wisconsin - Madison but it is abbreviated to UW.</p>

<p>It doesn't matter which references you site, the people don't do it that way. Add the M and everyone thinks Milwaukee. You could be technically correct but no one will realize it. Therefore it is best to avoid what is in the official literature to be sure your audience is getting the correct message. And, it wouldn't hurt to change that official literature to avoid confusion. We all know Madison is part of the official name, but when referring to UW or Wisconsin it is common knowledge that the Madison campus is meant. The other campuses get the modifiers. Those of us who were in college when the WSU (Wisconsin State U) system was merged with the UW system were sure to add the Madison to our school name when the lesser schools got to use the title (we didn't bother with the other original UW-'s). A final point, the M you refer to is always part of the UW website, I never have seen the -M in isolation from the official website to refer to the school.</p>

<p>haha well I wasn't writing this to you specifically wis75 so I could care less what you find irrelevant or proper. Get over it and get a life!</p>

<p>Yes, the name of the school is the University of Wisconsin - Madison. NO, it is not UWM, UW-M, et al. If you were to refer to it as such on the UW campus, you'd be chastised for your ignorance. As stated beforehand, UWM refers to University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee and only to University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. The names Wisconsin and UW are widely used to refer to UW - Madison and to UW - Madison only. Use UWM on applications at your own risk.</p>

<p>For what it's worth I'm a graduate of both Wisconsin and Milwaukee. Common acronymic parlance is, as stated, that Milwaukee is UWM and Wisconsin is UW. That said, this is a rather silly issue. Both are excellent universities in the University of Wisconsin System, although they have somewhat different missions, very different student populations and vastly different histories.</p>

<p>So, I was in the Humanities building on Sunday (not for the Geek Convention but for an audition), and guess what the music stands in the practice rooms had spraypainted on them?</p>

<p>"UW School of Music"</p>

<p>Not "UW-Madison School of Music"</p>