Transfering into after Freshman Year

<p>I'm looking to transfer into Madison after my freshman year at Minnesota. I was just wondering if anyone else could tell me about their experience transferring into Madison. Also, do admissions favor kids who attended a school like UW-Eau Claire or UW-La Crosse over someone who went to the U of M like me?</p>

<p>My friend got into madison from uw-milwaukee with a 3.0 gpa after his 1st semester there.</p>

<p>Why would they favor those schools? With reciprocity many from Wis go to U of M and vice versa, it has a better academic reputation than they do. It is a well known fact that many transfer into UW-Madison from other schools. Don't worry, and welcome!</p>

<p>What about transferring in with around a 3.0 at a similarly competitive school not in WI/Midwest?</p>

<p>
[quote]
What about transferring in with around a 3.0 at a similarly competitive school not in WI/Midwest?

[/quote]

In general, the process is the same regardless where you transfer from. The tricky part depends on your intended major and how much requirement you have completed. In some cases, your app will be reviewed entirely by a specific college or department. That could put you in direct competition against current UW students.</p>

<p>Does Madison have Sports Management? I'm really up for anything from Marketing to Business Management to Sports Management to Education.</p>

<p>I don't think you'd be at a great disadvantage for attending U of M. We have a lot of people from mn, and we also have a lot of people from other WI colleges. They do give preference to students from 2 year schools... but I don't think it plays a ginormous role.</p>

<p>I would recommend you really meet with advisors in the departments you're interested in before you transfer though. Some of the majors require applications and have very specific course requirements. Sometimes they'll even limit how many credits applicants can have at the time of application. So, def. make sure you're on the right track.</p>

<p>so if im planning on majoring in poli-sci, should it help my cause to know that i will have completed pretty much all of the college of l&s general education requirements?(minus EthnicStudies)</p>

<p>No sports mgt. Good general mkting and business.</p>

<p>Any idea on what it takes to get in barrons?</p>

<p>3.0. will usually do it. Business and engineering may be tougher.</p>

<p>This report has data from last year's transfers.</p>

<p><a href="http://registrar.wisc.edu/st_plan/form_files/2006%20DEM%20Annual%20Report%20Admissions.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://registrar.wisc.edu/st_plan/form_files/2006%20DEM%20Annual%20Report%20Admissions.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>