Transfering majors? University Studies to Engineering?

<p>I already got in University Studies, but I only applied because I was a bit worried I would have been waitlisted/deferred if I applied to engineering (plus, I'm finishing an engineering magnet school that gives credit for locked engineering freshman classes so I would not be behind if I transferred). Is there a way to change majors before freshman year or would I have to transfer after freshman year. Any help would be appreciated</p>

<p>bravesfan, Congratulations on your acceptance. My son is a junior in engineering but started in university studies(over 700 on math SAT and AP Scholar with distinction but high school grades were not up to snuff so he had to start in university studies). Not sure if you could transfer to engineering before freshman year (kind of doubt it) but it would not hurt to ask admissions if that would be a possibility. The important thing(if you have to start in university studies) is to do very well your first semester in university studies and take all the courses that the engineers take (the only one you can’t take is engineering exploration unless you’re in the engineering dept). If you do really well your first semester, they should offer you the opportunity to take engineering exploration your second semester.That is what my son did and he was able to easily catch up.After that, you can transfer into general engineering. Good luck and congratulations again!</p>

<p>One thing I forgot. I believe,if you end up having to start in university studies (not ideal but not the end of the world), you may be able to take an engineering exploration course equivalent in community college during the summer. We were not aware of that before school started. But check with Virginia Tech to confirm that and that the course would count at Virginia Tech before you consider doing anything like that. They can tell you the course description of what you need. Good luck!</p>