Transferring a Repeated Course?

<p>I'm probably looking at a "C" in Calculus 1 (5 Cr hrs) at best, but most likely going to fail this class this Spring semester. I have heard that depending on what school the course is transferring to; </p>

<p>If the course is repeated:
1.) The average of 2 grade will transfer
2.) The better grade will completely replace the bad grade since 2 same course cannot be given credit for.</p>

<p>How does A&M handle these situation upon transferring? I would like to retake this course in Summer because it('ll) drop my GPA significantly.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>If you repeat a course, you’ll have both grades on your transcript and it’ll be factored into your GPR.</p>

<p>"1. TAMU does not use transfer grades as part of the GPR calculation. Transferred course work provides credit for courses only (C or higher).
2. With regard to applying for transfer admission, we receive a very large number of applicants, and the ranking and selection process is competitive. In the transfer review process, retaking the course improves your average for the Table 1, Column D course work.</p>

<p>The bigger question is whether you have mastered the course material and are well prepared to be successful in future courses."</p>

<p>That is the response I got from the Petroleum Eng. Department Head, Dr Bryan Maggard.
Can someone elaborate on #1?</p>

<p>So my GPA is only good at the community college and A&M GPA will be separate; but GPA from CC will be observe for competitiveness only? And #2, retaking the course will improve my average (GPA).</p>

<p>You will have a transfer GPR that is used to determine acceptance. Once you are accepted you start your GPR completely from scratch and all the courses from the previous schools will show on the official tamu transcript with a ‘T’ in front of the grade. Like for an A, ‘TA.’ But that A doesn’t count any longer. </p>

<p>Retaking a course still means both grades will be included in your transfer GPR. From my own experience, admissions views your overall transfer GPR and then a seperate GPR for the courses in your degree track. I’m a business major so I think, Defree Track E. If you retake a course that is in the degree track and not just another ‘basic’ then the GPR for your degree track should greatly improve.</p>

<p>So let’s say a grade of F was received first semester for a 3 credit course. After retaking the class an A was obtained. Would that make the GPA 2.0? Reason I ask is first semester at Blinn in 05 I withdrew but didn’t get papers in in time and received 4 F’s. Although Blinn will take the higher grade, will TAMU just count both grades and figure in hours attempted?</p>

<p>I email an advisor at my community college AND the advisor at TAMU.</p>

<p>My CC advisor said the F GPA will be a factor when transferring, but University (transferring to) will see the better “Letter” grade.</p>

<p>TAMU advisor said GPA of CC will be look at for getting accepted competitiveness. Once accepted GPA from CC doesn’t matter; University GPA will start over.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>@sobe thanks for the info!</p>

<p>So does anyone know the answer to how two courses are calculated into the overall transfer GPR AND the degree GPR? Mtreys post for an F and an A does that equal an average of 2.0 points per credit hours and does that mean 2.0 points in 6 hours for your overall GPR and 2.0 points for the degree GPR (if the course is included in the degree plan intended?)</p>

<p>Please help! Thank you!</p>

<p>@Rae … yea overall GPR is 2.0 from Blinn… when you transfer to A&M … GPA starts at 0. So if you’re a transfer with bunch of credits it’ll suck because by then you’ll probably only have hard degree-related courses to take. Whereas if you’re a freshman … you’ll have HIST, GOVT, etc to boost up GPR if you make bad grades in the more upper level classes.</p>

<p>@Rae Yes…what Sobe said. The problem with the F is it causes problems getting accepted. Once you do get accepted, your GPA will start over at TAMU. I think by then, especially considering I will have 60+ hours, I won’t care about trying to get an A in every single class just to make up for an F!</p>

<p>Grades for all transferable courses are used in the computation of the GPR. This includes: Failing grades, repeated courses, WF, Incompletes, etc.
Grades reported as Incomplete are computed as Fs.
Plus and minus grade designations are not used; C+ is computed as a C, B- as a B etc.</p>

<p>But the good news is once accepted your GPR will start new.</p>