Transferring Colleges

Hello all!
Can I get some feedback?

I currently am a sophomore standing at my current university. It is an amazing university and am so grateful to be here. However, I have had a feeling I want to transfer schools since I got here… The reasons I can pin point are:
1.) It has been hard for me to feel comfortable being who I am on campus…
2.) I am unsure I am going to reach my long term goals at my current school.
3.) The social life doesn’t fit my interests. (Generally speaking).
I have looked at and appreciate all the positives and prestige of my current university. However, those three things have been constant in my head throughout my year at the school im at.
I got into another College that has programs really focused on what I want for the future and I felt much more comfortable with myself when I visited this the school winter. If I transfer, it will cost the same. I will only be pushed back by a couple of credits.
Can I get some feedback? Should I stick it out despite the negative feelings?
Thanks guys, best

Are there any disadvantages of the new college compared to the current college?

Have you had transfer credit evaluated at the new college? Is there the possibility of some courses not transferring resulting in needing an extra semester to graduate at the new college, and would that be a financial hardship?

If you do not see any disadvantages of the new college (including transfer credit issues) compared to the current college, what would cause you to hesitate transferring?

If you do transfer, be sure to fill in all of the forms to cleanly withdraw from the current college, so that if you do find the new college not to be as expected, you would have an easier path to readmission to the current college.

1 Like

Thanks for your response.
The only disadvantage, I can find when comparing my circumstance, is that the new college is very specialized. That is what I would like, just not sure if it will be harder to get a job as a result.
All of my credits so far have transferred. The new college does need to evaluate my current semester of credits when I finish the semester and they can see my grades.
Okay, Thank you for that feedback. I’ll make sure to meet with my academic advisor when I decide.

Would your major be in that specialized area at either school? If so, then would the effects (positive or negative) on getting a job based on your major be similar at both schools?

The major at the new college is specialized. It is geared toward what I want and I think also its more mailable to other jobs as it is not a niche humanities degree (which is what I currently am earning).

I don’t see a downside to transferring, in your case. It would be helpful to know the schools in question, but overall, it seems thought a lot about it.

Ask the new school for a career outcomes report. Get comfortable. Make sure the school is accredited.

It’s clear you want to go. You applied…right.

Best of luck.