Transferring from Michigan

<p>I am currently a sophomore at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor. After realizing that programs at UW would better suit my educational goals, I am considering transferring.
Obviously, there are a lot of factors involved with this decisions. I'm hoping I can find some solid information here.
What is it like to transfer as a junior to UW? I know some people there, but would mostly have to make new friends.
What are classes like at UW? How accessible are professors and TAs? How good are undergraduate resources and opportunities (such as availability of lab jobs and independent lab research)?
I am looking into the Wildlife Ecology major, the Biological Aspects of Conservation major, or the Zoology major. Any information on any of these majors would be extremely helpful.
How do gen eds work at UW? Would any of the classes I took as gen eds at Michigan fulfill gen ed requirements at UW?
What is it like to be a student at UW? I'm assuming it is pretty similar to Michigan because both are big ten schools with good academics and research. I saw in a different post on here that UW students tend to be friendly and less competitive than Michigan. I like going to Michigan, but I don't like how competitive everyone is here.
Is it easy to make friends in classes at UW? How do most people make friends? (I wouldn't be living in a dorm, so that wouldn't be an option.)
Is it easy to learn your way around campus and adjust to being there? One of the cons of transferring would be having to figure out where everything is and how the system works (i.e. which professors/classes are good, which ones to avoid, etc.).
Finally, how much is housing around the campus? </p>

<p>Any information related to any of the above, or overall experiences at UW, would be very, very greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!</p>

<p>Also, how hard would it be to double major in Wildlife Ecology and a school from L&S (either Zoology or Biological Aspects of Conservation)?
Here at Michigan, classes can double count for two majors (e.g. if you took evolution and were double majoring in anthropology and biology, the course would count toward both majors). There is no limit on the number of classes that can be used for both. Does UW do something like that? How does double majoring work at UW?</p>

<p>You will presumably be taking upper level courses in your major(s) and your classes will be different than those of freshmen. Research the UW website. Send emails to departments that interest you and ask your questions. Check the courses required for each major and see where you can double up.</p>

<p>Plenty of apartments close to campus. The season for next fall technically opens up rentals next month but waiting until second semester works, there are places for singles (studio, 1 BR) into late spring. There is an off campus housing site which lists many campus area apartments divided according to area and other criteria you select. This can give you an idea of costs. Check with people you know at UW about the various management companies and locations. Most students do NOT have cars on campus- plan on expensive apartment parking and none close to your classes. Learning your way can be helped by using Google and Bing maps along with UW maps- birdseye and street views. You also learn best by being there.</p>

<p>Professors can be as accessible as you want them to be- make use of office hours. Check on available research opportunities on the departmental websites or ask the question in an email to the departmental chairs. It never hurts to ask.</p>

<p>People make friends in housing, classes and activities. It takes time- months perhaps not instantly in the first few weeks. Check the many activities and try out ones you think may be fun.</p>

<p>Tons of questions here. Hard to answer each and every one. I will say the following. My son is double majoring (possibly, triple majoring) in math, stats, and biology. He is able to do so because certains courses are “double” counted. But as Wis75 said, you need to check each major carefully. With respect to UG and research opportunities, I was blown away by the reported statistic that Madison is second only to John Hopkins in terms of $ per UG student for UG research. If you are a good student, you will find a professor willing to add you to his/her team. My son is a sophomore doing that, working in a bio lab with doctoral students and immersed in some pretty heavy duty stuff and no doubt will look good on his resume. Competitiveness is a function of the type of classes you take. If you are taking Madison’s famed Biocore, then expect crazy competition. But, if you navigate the system, you can find “chill” courses (not that I am recommending that). There are several apartments in the area with 1, 2, 3, and up to 4-5 bedrooms. When you are rooming with others, figure about $800 per month. Might be cheaper if you go more off campus.</p>