Transferring into Engineering from Biology at Texas A&M

<p>I've been a College Confidential reader for some time, but this is my first time to start a discussion.</p>

<p>Anyways, I will be a Biology major during the Fall 2014 semester at Texas A&M. Recently, I have decided to try and transfer into the Biomedical Engineering department. I talked to an advisor, and I was told that I have to have ENGL 104, MATH 151, MATH 152, CHEM 101/111, CHEM 102/112, PHYS 218 and PHYS 208 completed with a 3.5 GPA to transfer into the department.
I already have my ENGL 104 credit because I took it as a dual credit in high school.
I will be taking MATH 151 and CHEM 101/111 during my first semester at A&M.
I will then take MATH 152 and CHEM 102/112 during my second semester at A&M.
That leaves PHYS 218 and PHYS 208 as the two extra courses I would have to take. The advisor I spoke with told me to take PHYS 218 during the Spring semester instead of biology and take PHYS 208 during the summer.
I believe I am capable of completing the classes; however, the 3.5 GPA is what has me very nervous.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any tips on how to succeed in entering the engineering school at A&M? Also, any tips on keeping a high GPA? Any help or advice is appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>First and for most STUDY STUDY STUDY!
Your Eng credit will actually count towards your CBK GPA, but not your A&M GPA</p>

<ol>
<li>Attend lecture, actively listen, ask questions</li>
<li>Study in small groups of 2-4 people for tests</li>
<li>Go to office hours if you need help on anything</li>
<li>Go to SI (supplemental instruction), free tutoring offered by the university</li>
<li>most classes have a TA, ask them if you have any questions</li>
<li>GO to your recitations</li>
<li>If you still need additional help, go to A+ tutoring or 4.0& Go</li>
</ol>

<p>Use #7 as an absolute last option, there are so many ways to get free help that all you need to do is seek it,</p>

<p>You will hate your life at times, want to pull your hair out. But in the end it is enjoyable if you really want to be
an engineer. A real sense of satisfaction after you figure out a problem you worked on for several hours, or
just doing really well on a test. Even if you do poorly on one or two tests, don’t be discouraged. The classes
are difficult but not impossible. </p>

<p>Put in the necessary time and you should do well. Let me know if you have any questions, would love to answer them.</p>