Transferring into Nursing, but don't truly know what classes are needed

<p>Hi there, I'm currently attending a community college in hopes of transferring. However, I really do not truly know what classes I need to transfer. I had my sights originally set on the California state universities, but what are some other good out of state nursing schools too? </p>

<p>I know Human Anatomy 20A+20B, microbiology, psychology, nutrition, and anthropology + statistics but anything else? What is a good resource to check for classes needed besides assist.org? thank you.</p>

<p>I would check the websites of each college you are interested in, to see if there is a list. If not, I would contact them directly. </p>

<p>You should also talk to an advisor at your community college, and ask about agreements they probably have with other colleges to allow easy transfers. You want to make sure that your new college that will accept all of your credits. That is sometimes easiest if you stay in the same state. </p>

<p>I believe most 4 year nursing programs will also want to see chemistry. The more biology and anatomy, the better. Writing is also usually taken in the first couple years. </p>

<p>You can also look at the 4 year nursing curriculum of a couple colleges where you are interested, and try to match that.</p>

<p>If you are interested in transferring to colleges that offer direct entry (freshman year) Nursing Programs you should be aware that most, if not all of them, have students begin taking some nursing specific courses (beyond Anatomy) in their freshman and sophomore years. At these schools you would probably have to add at least a semester, if not a year, to take these “catch up” courses as most Community Colleges do not offer them. Even those CCs with Associate Degree Nursing Programs usually do not allow non-nursing majors to take these more nursing specific courses. As mentioned by the previous poster you need to check with the colleges you are interested in transferring to in order to get this information. Overall these 4 year BSN Programs do not generally take many tranfer students (unless there is a specific arrangement with a CC or CC system to allow for it). It is not impossible to accomplish but it is not easy.</p>

<p>You might have better luck looking at colleges that admit students initially as Freshman with a “Nursing Interest” type of admission category. At these schools students must apply again in their sophomre year for admsission to the Nursing Program at the same college, so they generally have students take few, if any, more nursing specific courses their first two years at college. These programs usually take a larger number of transfer students from other colleges as compared to 4 year BSN Programs. </p>

<p>Of course there are always exceptions to the above info so you really need to check with the Nursing Programs you are interested in to get their specific admission requirements. Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>call the school you’re interested or check the website. D’s school has the curriculum right on the web. First year pre-reqs, in addition to those you listed, include chemistry, speech, and writing (and sociology instead of anthropology). </p>

<p>Other, non-nursing courses required of the major include more psychology (developmental, abnormal) and ethics. </p>

<p>Understand, too, that each school will have it’s own core/gen ed and you will have to fulfil requirements as well. You can find these online in the college’s catalog. If you know where you want to go to school and know thier gen eds, you can take them at your cc. It’ll free up some time in your upper classmen years. Nursing is a very “full” major, so take any chance you can get to give yourself a little breathing room.</p>