Transferring majors

<p>Hi guys, so yesterday, after 3 1/2 months of waiting, I found out I got into A&M :D since I was a non auto admit. However, I got into general studies, since Petroleum Engineering and Mechanical Engineering were full. I want to know, is there any way I can transfer into Petroleum or Mechanical and if so, how long could the estimated time be? I consider myself a pretty hard worker, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get into the majors. Please reply back on this because I would like to set forth the goals. Thanks and have a great day!</p>

<p>The earliest you could try would be during your New Student Conference I believe, but since it is full at the moment, you may have to wait a while to get in. Students in g-stud generally work toward their base requirements to change into the major, meaning that if you do not get into the major from your admission into college, you have to do a bit of work (and have a good GPA) to get transferred in</p>

<p>Here is the site listing the engineering majors and what it takes to transfer in, as well as some more information: [ESSAP</a> - Changing Majors](<a href=“http://essap.tamu.edu/change-major.htm]ESSAP”>http://essap.tamu.edu/change-major.htm)</p>

<p>Just go into G-Studies and take all the engineering first year classes that you can. Make A’s and then apply for the transfer. The only variable not in your control is how many people these departments will accept for transfer each year. That you can’t really worry about so just take care of everything else that is under your control.</p>

<p>So if you are goal oriented, then I advise you to work hard and make the best grades that you can. Working hard is half the battle. Performance is a whole other ballgame.</p>

<p>Sorry about the late reply btn, but what I’m understanding is that you basically have to just work to the minimum requirements and then talk to the academic advisers in the department and submit an application? I’ll def try for it if I goto A&M but I’m just weighing my options for it. How risky is it and how long would it normally take? 1 semester or 1 year?</p>

<p>No problem! Basically, you have to do that. I would always go to an adviser ASAP if you know what you prospective major is. Most departments would prefer you get rid of some of the core curriculum, such as basic sciences, maths, liberal arts etc before you can get in. (For example, transferring into the business school requires economics, accounting and a few other classes with at least a 3.00 or B average) Its not risky unless you don’t keep up with grades or don’t pay attention to your GPA/GPR.</p>

<p>I would also review the link I sent you earlier. </p>

<p>Generally, most people in general studies stay there for a year to two years, simply because you have to get rid of the lower level work and that takes time.</p>

<p>Would AP Credit count towards hours in these courses? If so, that can probably reduce the time and then allow me to take other courses to quicken the transfer…</p>