Transferring OUT of UC Irvine

Hey guys,

I’m currently a freshman at UCI majoring in Economics, and I was hoping to transfer out of Irvine. The vibes here aren’t all that good and I’m genuinely unhappy here.

With that being said, because of the UC strikes, my Calc 1 grade suffered ALOT. I went from a B to ending the quarter with a D+ because my discussions were all cancelled, which I heavily relied on for help because my professor, while nice, can’t teach very well.

I am only taking 3 classes this quarter and other than Calculus, my ECON and Writing class are both A’s.

With that being said, I have two questions:

1.) When transferring out of UC, will schools see my winter quarter grades as well? Right now only the fall quarter has passed, but I was hoping to raise my GPA with my winter quarter grades, but the due dates for the transfer application are two weeks before the winter quarter 2023 ends.

2.) Will having that one D+ affect my chances immensely? Should I retake the class? Would it be alright if I just ace Calc 2? Once again, the only reason why I did poorly on Calc 1 was because of the UC Strikes.

Anything will be helpful, thanks. I just want out of here.

Where do you want to transfer to?

1 Like

I was hoping to look to get into places like USC, Vanderbilt, Carnegie Mellon, UVA, NYU, Georgetown, etc. Somewhere with a more City feel.

For colleges as selective as those, a D+ grade in college is likely to be a detriment. Also, as a frosh trying to transfer as a sophomore, your high school record will also matter.

However, for a more city feel, you can transfer to a community college in a city, and then to a CSU in a city.

3 Likes

You will likely not be able to transfer to a highly rejective school with a D+.

I would speak with the calc professor and see if there is anything you can do to get the D+ to a C, using the lack of tutoring/TA access as your reasoning. Perhaps an extra credit assignment, or keeping the grade where it was pre-strike.

If that doesn’t work, I would recommend you retake the class. I am sorry that the strike has impacted you, and also suggest you contact UCI’s president and academic dean so they have another example of the poor experience their students are having. Good luck.