Transgender at TCU?

Hi everyone!

I applied EA at TCU, was accepted, and was told last week that I had received a Chancellor’s Scholarship. This makes TCU one of my family’s most affordable options. I also really like the strength of the program for my major (Design & Technology) and the opportunities of the DFW area.

However, my dad and stepmom are concerned about the atmosphere for LGBT students, particularly those who are transgender (I am FtM). I am already planning on being “stealth” in college (meaning I do not let others know I am transgender, I pass well and have most of my legal documents changed) and will likely be in a single suite due to other medical reasons, so I figured it wouldn’t really matter. My dad and stepmom’s concern is me finding a group of similar people and being in an overall accepting community.

Those who attend TCU or are familiar with it, how is the atmosphere for LGBT students? I’ve heard of Spectrum, but is it a larger, well-supported group, or the opposite?

1 Like

It is a conservative campus in a conservative city, Fort Worth. I would think a liberal campus in a liberal city, such as UT Austin, would be a much better fit.

2 Likes

I think you should prioritize safety. It might be the more affordable option but from what I’ve heard it’s very conservative there and if I were you I would definitely prioritize your safety. It’s sad that it’s come to that in 2021 but I would probably pick a more liberal campus.

1 Like

I’ve PM’ed you :frog:

1 Like

PM’MED you.

1 Like