Transition from First Year Engineering to Engineering Major

Purdue seems to admit all successful engineering applicants to a general First Year Engineering curriculum. Can anyone tell me what criteria Purdue uses to determine whether someone gets into their chosen engineering major? Have they established a minimum GPA that guarantees admission to your chosen major? Does it put you through another “holistic” application process. I gather some majors are more competitive than others (ie., CE/CS >>>> CivilEng, and so on).

Judd

Your GPA at the end of your first year is the deciding factor. During the Spring Semester you list your top two choices of a major; and if you have a 3.2 GPA at the end of your first year, then you pretty guaranteed to get your top choice. If you have less than a 3.2 GPA, then it is more uncertain.

Yes, some majors are more competitive than others.

It’s not your whole GPA though, only classes related to your major are considered for your Engineering Admission Index.

https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/Academics/FirstYear/T2M

We were told the 3.2 EAI guarantees any major and a 3.0 still has a 98% chance of matching with the top pic. It’s supposed to be a quick and painless process if the GPA makes the cut off.

^ From the provided link:

“Students who have completed all FYE requirements with a cumulative GPA > 3.20 and an EAI > 3.20 have the top priority in the T2M process. If the degree program is not over critical capacity, the student will be admitted to his or her first choice. Most programs are not at capacity and will accept all students who complete FYE requirements with GPA and EAI of 2.00 or greater. The professional schools have the option of accepting or declining a student based on a variety of academic factors, which may include GPA, EAI, grades in particular courses, probation status, and academic history.”

The link also states that Aeronautics & Astronautics Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering all have “capacity limitations.”

Thank you for that link; I learn something every day. As with many things, the devil is in the details!