Transportation from B'ham to Tuscaloosa on 6/14

<p>Anyone else flying in the night before for the June 15-16 Bama Bound and want to share transportation from the airport to campus? My flight gets in at 4:20 PM…</p>

<p>I’m also asking around to my friends, but if I don’t find anyone, what do you guys think the best (aka cheapest) option is for one person?</p>

<p>Regina…</p>

<p>Try posting on the Facebook Alabama Class of 2015 page with your transportation needs.</p>

<p>[Welcome</a> to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More](<a href=“Facebook - log in or sign up”>Facebook - log in or sign up)</p>

<p>Already posted in two of the groups :slight_smile: thanks – hopefully someone will respond!</p>

<p>You pretty much have three options:

1. Take a cab. This will probably be around $100 one way and the most expensive option.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Greyhound. there is a bus from B’ham to Tuscaloosa leaving at 4:50. Price of the ticket is $17 plus you’ll need cab fare to the bus station in B’ham and from the bus station in Tuscaloosa ($20 each?) so you’re looking at around $60 one way for this option.</p></li>
<li><p>Shuttle (Birmingham door 2 door). I think the price is $130 roundtrip but can be cheaper if you get someone to share.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Hopefully you can find someone to share the shuttle ride. Good luck and have fun at Bama Bound!!</p>

<p>So, there’s a Greyhound station in T-Town, then? Is it like most Greyhound stations – i.e., in a really sketchy part of town?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>The last time I heard, the Tuscaloosa Greyhound station was closed and buses are now stopping at a gas station near Wal-Mart.</p>

<p>The Greyhound station in Tuscaloosa is a “station” in name only. It is actually in the BP gas station on McFarland blvd about a mile south of Skyland blvd. </p>

<p>I think only 3 or 4 buses a day stop there. But the area is fine and at least it’s another option to get to/from Birmingham if all else fails.</p>

<p>lil bro had to jump on a bus there at the last minute when USAir canceled his flight the day before spring break. He actually had to take the bus all the way to Atlanta just to be able to get a flight home.</p>

<p>I’d hate for Regina to have to take a Greyhound bus. Fingers-crossed that she’ll find someone to share a shuttle with!</p>

<p>BTW…with so many OOS kids coming to Bama now…why isn’t there a better shuttle arrangement for all these kids??? Hmmmm…a question to put to the BB people!!</p>

<p>I’d like to see UA provide airport shuttles at the beginning and end of the school year and also start a ride sharing board. Many students used the airport shuttles UA arranged after the tornado and I’m sure many students would gladly pay $30 to get to campus from BHM this August. Airfares are getting more expensive and even if they can afford the cost of additional airfares, many parents don’t feel the need to fly down and move their kids in every year. Plus, it would help eliminate some of the chaos that accompanies move-in. </p>

<p>I have a feeling that UA has considered this in the past, but decided that what’s worked before (no shuttles) still works and thus doesn’t need to be changed. </p>

<p>We’ll have to start a thread for people interested in sharing shuttles for August move-in. I haven’t bought my airfare yet, but I’d be interested in sharing a shuttle.</p>

<p>Regina, I’m sure people are heading down to Tuscaloosa at that time, but the challenge is finding them. </p>

<p>Good luck and I hope you enjoy Bama Bound.</p>

<p>All these transportation posts has me thinking I need to buy a minivan and move on down to Tuscaloosa and open up my own shuttle service.</p>

<p>With my luck as soon as I did so The University would announce a full time shuttle to/from B’ham :-(</p>

<p>There’s definitely a need and a market for such though. Especially with the increase in OOS students.</p>

<p>

=/ Is it that bad? I’m really fine with taking the Greyhound; while the Alabama area is completely new to me, I grew up near NYC, so I’m pretty used to traveling by myself and public transportation…if you guys really don’t recommend it, though, I will trust your opinions and take a cab. :)</p>

<p>You would think with a facebook group of over 1,000 incoming freshmen, over 30 of whom are doing that Bama Bound, I would find someone, but no such luck so far!</p>

<p>Luckily, I don’t have to worry about this on the way back, at least. My angel of a roommate is picking me up in Birmingham and I’m staying with her in Atlanta, then flying home from there.</p>

<p>If you’re only needing to go to Tuscaloosa and not back to BHM, the Birmingham Door to Door shuttle would cost $80. There is another shuttle service that provides discounts if multiple people are travelling, even if they aren’t all in the same group.</p>

<p>also start a ride sharing board.</p>

<p>Bama students could easily start their own “ride sharing board” on Facebook.</p>

<p>*Luckily, I don’t have to worry about this on the way back, at least. My angel of a roommate is picking me up in Birmingham and I’m staying with her in Atlanta, then flying home from there. *</p>

<p>??? how are you getting to B’ham? Or did you mean T-town?</p>

<p>Ahh, I meant Tuscaloosa – my mistake. :)</p>