Travel tips for various music schools

Update on Loyola: I looked at maps and did not find any hotels in close walking distance, but I did find a beautiful airbnb apartment right at the edge of the Audubon park. (I love searching for hotels. It’s kind of a weird hobby! So, I love playing around with these audition trips.)

Congrats!

If/when you are looking for hotels near USC, I would recommend the USC Hotel, if it is affordable. It is right across the street from campus – and in general, while USC is really gorgeous, the area around the campus is not, and occasionally has safety concerns. You could also choose to stay downtown and take an Uber or subway into campus, or even at one of the beach towns and Uber in if that appeals to you. I think that some of the downtown hotels have discounts for USC-affiliated visitors. You might want to ask about this on the USC thread here on CC.

2 Likes

Coming back to this, after so much has happened. Here we are! I’m wondering if we should be expecting a letter today with something like 10,000 in music award toward a $90,000 bill, or maybe none at all, or maybe enough to combine with aid and make the school at all affordable? It’s such an amazing opportunity to be accepted, and a wonderful affirmation, but hard to get the rest of the news.

My kid has gone on a road trip and is having a great spring break, so life is good. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hopefully you have better luck with merit than we did for USC. My son had half to full tuition offers at all of his schools except USC which offered $5K per year in music merit. Of course it was only $82K per year back then. :rofl:
In our conversations with other musicians, USC tends to prioritize grad students with their scholarship money.

1 Like

I’ve heard this from a few families too! Crossing fingers for you but you have a lot of great options on the table.