• Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Caucasian

**Intended Major: Engineering with possible Aerospace Eng. Specifically

**GPA, Rank, and Test Scores:

• Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0 unweighted,

• Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): No weighting at HS

• Class Rank: No ranking

• ACT/SAT Scores: SAT 720 Reading, 800 Math

Coursework
*(AP: 10 APS , high grades on Tests (4s and 5s)

Awards : Many various academic awards, chemistry, physics, math,

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience) Varsity Tennis, Basketball, National HOnor society, Student cOuncil, Tutoring, Volunteer work, Math League, School programs, part time job

Cost Constraints / Budget
NO real budget constraints thanks to family

• Match: Looking for 5-6 schools Reach, Target, Safety

Thanks for your time.

I don’t know if you meant 5-6 total or in each category, but here are some suggestions. You can pare down this list.

Super reaches: MIT, Caltech, Stanford
Reaches: Michigan, Georgia Tech
Targets: UC Boulder, VaTech, UIUC, Purdue, UMD, Embry-Riddle
Likelies: Ohio State, Penn State
Safeties: the SUNYs, Alabama, Arizona State

3 Likes

Here is OP’s previous thread.

2 Likes

Thank you glad i did another thread. I think we need to look closer at Georgia Tech and UC Boulder . Appreciated

1 Like

NO just 5-6 total schools TY

I guess a good question to ask is what else can be done besides good grades and good essays these days? Besides parent driven put ons ? That question may belong in another thread but a kid who works hard, gets great grades, preps and does well on SATs but is a bit introverted and hasnt cured a disease or isnt a ceo of a corporation has little chance these days of getting into elite schools …

If you define elite as Stanford, Princeton and MIT-- then yes, “little chance” because the odds are what they are. If you are willing to look at another 50 or so programs- which can give a kid an elite education even if the guy at your dry cleaner has never heard of it- then no, you are wrong.

4 Likes

Look at the Purdue Data Digest, which under the links for “Admission, Admits, Matriculations” and “New First-Time Beginner Profile” give information in an interactive format on test scores, GPAs, etc. based on different types of student parameters: https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/

1 Like

Also, as an OOS applicant your chances of getting into Georgia Tech are not great unless you are a valedictorian or salutatorian of your graduating class, in my opinion.

You might consider University of Alabama at Huntsville as a safety school.

3 Likes

https://amspub.abet.org/aps/category-search?disciplines=2&degreeLevels=B&countries=US is a list of US universities with ABET-accredited aerospace engineering majors. Some may be automatic admission for your stats and therefore could be safety candidates.

Adding mechanical engineering to the majors increases the list substantially: https://amspub.abet.org/aps/category-search?disciplines=2&disciplines=48&degreeLevels=B&countries=US . You can check whether colleges’ mechanical engineering departments offer aerospace electives, since that is fairly common.

3 Likes

Reach: Cornell, GT, Purdue (still a reach but less reachy)
Match: RPI, Lehigh (aero minor),
Safety: Alabama Huntsville, Embry-Riddle

3 Likes

The only ones of my usual suspects that I don’t see mentioned yet are CMU as a Reach and Wisconsin as a Target.

CMU would be as MechE and Wisconsin as Engineering Mechanics/Aerospace Option.

What do you want in a college? Think about climate, urban/suburban/rural, size of the school, size of classes, importance of Greek life, popularity of intercollegiate sports, etc. That will help people to match you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.