Tropical Storm Isaac

<p>Aren’t you glad he’s safely in Tuscaloosa? Always breathe a huge sigh of relief when we drop son off that he’s out of harm’s way for hurricanes.</p>

<p>Montegut, I suspect my son is having so much fun that he is oblivious to this storm. </p>

<p>As for me, I have plenty of bottled water, batteries, and bourbon. I’m ready.</p>

<p>For those of you whose students did not invest in rain gear…now is the time to reconsider. :)</p>

<p>Stay dry, slippy.</p>

<p>What happens if it rains for Get On Board Day? Do they move things inside, reschedule or just get wet?</p>

<p>Slippy and others potentially in the path of Isaac, be safe!!</p>

<p>True story: My middle daughter was born back in 1995 on the day Hurricane Opal hit. The storm moved inland causing extensive flooding and wind damage even though we don’t live close to the coast. This was also the day of the infamous O.J. Simpson verdict. The doctor and nurses joked throughout my labor that we’d have to choose between Opal for a girl and O.J. for a boy…of course we didn’t go with either of those.:slight_smile: I did, however, receive tons of attention as the staff used my labor suite to view updates on both on the television.:)</p>

<p>[Five-day</a> forecast cone](<a href=“REMNANTS OF CINDY”>REMNANTS OF CINDY)
[Wind</a> speed probabilities](<a href=“REMNANTS OF CINDY”>REMNANTS OF CINDY)</p>

<p>I can never remember which side of the hurricaine has the increased surge, and which side has the higher winds. Either way, the current paths predicticed are left of Alabama for the core, but include almost all of Alabama for the winds and rain from Wednesday through Friday. </p>

<p>I bet this will add to the package delivery problems. ;)</p>

<p>the east side is the worst vlines…more damage more chance of tornado.</p>

<p>Gov Bentley just declared statewide state of emergency. gulf shores asking non residents to evacuate.</p>

<p>Thanks Parent56. I was hoping it was the other side for this particular storm.</p>

<p>me too vlines, :(</p>

<p>The entire state of Alabama was just placed under a state of emergency by the governer. </p>

<p>Before anyone panics, we have this happen in MD often for these storms. It is often a way to help get emergency news out to all areas, give people time to prepare for the storm, and help school districts with decision making. It also puts the state in line for federal funds faster.</p>

<p>I do think this would be a good time for everyone to make sure that their student, and the parent if wanted, is signed up for the emergency alerts from UA. I believe that my son is signed up, but I need to check, and I will try to get the alerts on my phone too.</p>

<p>My husband wants D to bring her bike inside this week. Will a bike fit in the storage closet in RCW? Is there a better place for students to store their bikes when the rain/winds hit from Isaac?</p>

<p>After living through April 27th we have instructed DD to make sure her car is filled with gas and her cellphone is charged. Neither was done the last time we had an “issue”…We also subscribe to the UA alerts…it has happened that our phone has rung in the middle of the night (the shootings on the strip) but I am grateful to know what’s going on. New parents don’t panic. I have always felt that UA has handled all serous matters professionally and with the best interest of the students in mind…I am sure this situation will be managed the same way.</p>

<p>Linnylu, I’ve been in that RCW closet several times to put in golf clubs and empty boxes, and I think a bike will fit. If it doesn’t fit just standing there, I’ll bet you could get it in there propped vertically. And it would certainly fit in the living room - it’s no bigger than a kayak ;).</p>

<p>Thanks for mentioning that, ahpimommy. I just texted D with those instructions.</p>

<p>I highly recommend signing up for the free [statewide] SAF-T-Net weather alerts. While it is a statewide system, it is tailored to your location. I will get texts saying “A storm is approaching your campus” when serious rains or other major weather events arise. Texts will arise even when a storm is not major enough to trigger National Weather Service alerts. As you can choose which media partner should send the alerts. I choose James Spann’s station, ABC 33/40. [‘Revolutionary</a>’ statewide weather warning system to send free text, email alerts street-by-street (video) | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/02/revolutionary_cost-free_indivi.html]'Revolutionary”>'Revolutionary' statewide weather warning system to send free text, email alerts street-by-street (video) - al.com)</p>

<p>I tappears they are forecasting Isaac to go more west toward MS/LA… just stay tuned to the weather- most likely just rain and wind…should not be that bad if it goes more west…</p>

<p>Schools in greater NOLA closed through Wednesday. No mandatory evac has been ordered. We are hunkering down.</p>

<p>Be safe slippy! To try to quote Cromwell: “Put your trust in God, but mind to keep your powder dry.”</p>

<p>As the others say it looks like it will mostly be a rain event but spin off tornadoes can always be a factor in Alabama. It’s good to have one of those radios which runs on batteries and comes on automatically when there is a NOAA emergency weather advisory. It will also be helpful for springtime during tornado season.</p>