Trouble Deciding College: UMiami vs. Three Others

<p>Hey all,</p>

<p>I am having the toughest time deciding where to attend college. I have recently been accepted to four nearly equally ranked schools (all in the 50’s or so on US News) which all gave me great financial aid and I don’t know which to choose. I am a Hispanic female from sunny Florida who is interested in double majoring in English and Journalism and eventually becoming a print journalist. </p>

<p>What I look for in a school includes strong programs in my chosen majors (English and Journalism), nice campus, suburban/urban location, medium to large university, balanced student body (regarding politics, diversity, etc), a focus on academics, and not an overwhelming party atmosphere ( I don’t mind partying, I just don’t want this to be focal point of campus life).</p>

<p>Here are the schools:
-Univeristy of Miami (visited) – good journalism program, beautiful campus, great weather/ possibly overwhelming party school atmosphere??
-Fordham University (not yet visited) – good English program, NYC Location, campus aesthetics
-Pepperdine University (not yet visited) – great English/Journalism programs, Malibu location, Christian affiliation (positive aspect b/c I’m Christian as well)/ perhaps overly conservative??
-Syracuse University (Newhouse School) (not yet visited) – highly ranked communications school, beautiful campus/ freezing cold, snowy weather! (could be major problem for me b/c I complain about Florida winters! LOL) </p>

<p>There you have it, a very tough decision for me to make. I have only visited the University of Miami so far (which I plan to visit once more because I’m still unsure) and I will be visiting Fordham and Syracuse in two weeks. Before I visit, I’d like to gain some insight into these schools, so please help me out with some advice! Thanks!</p>

<p>mrly
From what I know, you cant do better than Syracuse/Newhouse for journalism,and congrats on getting in! Be aware that Syracuse is a very cold,very snowy place in the winter and well into the early part of the Spring,for example it would still be below freezing at night there now ,it could still have snow showers and it is whats called "mud season". Local kids I know (Im a suburban NY-Long Island mom) love it there..lots of school spirit but it does have a party atmosphere..but then again,doesnt every school?
Fordham is a school with two campuses.If you're talking about the Rose Hill (Bronx,one of the 5 boroughs of NYC)campus..its in NYC but NOT in Manhattan,which most people think of as NYC.Its a beautiful older,gothic style campus,in a decent part of the Bronx,across the street from the Botanic Gardens,but you arent going to walk outside the gates and be on Manhattan style streets. Fordham also has a Lincoln Center campus in Manhattan, which is totally urban and yes NYC will be smack in your face there but it lacks any kind of "campus" feel and is very commuter oriented.
From the little I know of Pepperdine,it would be the total opposite of any of these schools .
S spent a summer at Miami,loved it, and it was his first choice for college he was admitted with the 3/4 Ashe scholarship, but another school won him over with more opportunity in his major field.
Good luck with your visits and decision!</p>

<p>mrly, I too think that as far as program Syracuse is probably the best of your schools. I will say, however; that Miami is NOT an overwhelming party school anymore. Can you party? YES...by all means. Can you not party? Of course, son has some friends who don't. Personally, I don't think it matters one iota where you go when it comes to partying. Any school can be or cannot be a party school....that decision becomes yours and only yours. And you have a right to make what-ever decision you feel is best for you. Don't let anyone else make what can be life or death decision for you.</p>

<p>Son looked very hard at Pepperdine (although decided not to apply). He was okay with the religious affliation, but found that travel to and from, as well as around the area was going to be more difficult. Perhaps he may have been mistaken though, but it is one more thing that you will need to check on. He also was uncomfortable with the amount of religious class requirements. Once again, it was something that he just "felt" uncomfortable with, so you will want to check on and make your own decision for your own peace of mind.</p>

<p>Best of luck! If you do decide on Miami, please don't hesitate to ask us here, who roam this forum often, any questions you might have!</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch 1tcm and cathymee. I really appreciate all the advice and information. I'm very much excited to visit all these schools and finally make the big decision, but as of now I am leaning most towards UMiami and Fordham. However, we will see after the visits! Thanks again :)</p>

<p>Pepperdine sounds like a fit for you!! It has the warm weather (a diff. type of warm weather than FL so you will like it), it has a GREAT Journalism and English program. Its located in Malibu which is only 30 min. from downtown LA!!!!! and its a well known school. While syracuse is known for journalism it is cold and snowy and even if you are there in the summer it really doesnt get HOT!! GO TO PEPPERDINE! Best of luck!</p>