Trouble making friends at college

Hi everyone. I started attending NYU about three months ago and am having trouble with the isolating nature of the environment. I went to NYU because, I love the idea of going to a school in the city and felt it would provide more opportunities, however, I have noticed that after orientation week people did not really seem to want to be friendly. Everybody, always seems to have someone to walk with but me and I’m just feeling quite lonely. I have two very close friends, maybe three other not so super close friends, and about ten acquaintances but I just feel like I don’t have enough. I literally always feel ALONE. One of my favorite places to be is the library because, I feel like it’s peaceful and I absolutely enjoy that but, I feel like it’s probably pathetic. I have a lot of trust issues because when I was in high-school a lot of people tended to use me for work. I was valedictorian which made me proud but a lot of people jealous. That being said, I only still have one friend from high-school and we talk all the time. She is going to UCLA and struggles through a lot of the same things as me. I’m not a partier and I am not a drinker. I get scared that if I keep relying on my two closest friends they will get sick of me. I am currently a commuter, and just feel like everyday is the same. How do I get invited to things? How do I become more than a study buddy? When will college become “the best years” of my life?

I’m sorry you are having a rough start, but I emphasize start - you just got there! Being a commuter definitely makes it harder to connect, so my suggestion would be to join a club of your interest to make connections. Lots of kids find their ‘tribe’ that way- a sport, choir, theater, chess - whatever interests you - find the group of people doing it and dive in! I think you’ll find a lot of company.

Also, there are 5,699 other freshmen at NYU and I can guarantee you that you are far from the only one feeling this way - get involved in something and give yourself some time and my guess is this time next year you’ll wonder what you were even talking about!

BTW - I’m considerably older and still enjoy the library for the exact same reasons! Nothing pathetic about it! :books:

10 Likes

I recommend finding an organization that is not primarily career oriented to join (although you can do that, too). But join a club or group that is primarily social because it lends itself to making friends more. Like an exercise or dance group, a bowling team, a trivia contest group, a board game club — whatever sounds fun to you.

Then be prepared to push yourself out of your comfort zone and ask someone to coffee after, once you have established yourself.

Also consider an on-campus job. My child found that hers was very intentional about building community among student employees and are even doing a Friendsgiving this week.

You are not alone in this. It is a huge transition and takes time - and not everyone’s transition looks alike.

Best wishes

6 Likes

As everyone is saying, activities are great for meeting people. I actually met most of my life-long college friends through an activity I didn’t start until my second year, and had never done before (first year I was mostly socializing with my roommates and people they met through activities, and obviously that isn’t so much an option for a commuter student).

3 Likes

Clubs where students do things together - build theater props/sets, prepare a performance, organize a charity drive, play board games together… - are all great at helping you find friends :slight_smile:
You could also start a study group for one of your classes - say sth like " if you want to start a study group throughout December, meet me at ZCoffeeOnCampus today at lunch time/4pm… and let’s organize how we’ll nail the final!"
You’re good at learning, use it for your social life :wink:

3 Likes

Four of my kids were residential, one is a commuter, very different experiences. As a commuter, you will need to join more things. My son had a part time job on campus, played intramural and club soccer, and still isn’t really involved. BTW my middle child is the most social person I know, never enough hours in the day, and one of her favorite places is the Boston Public Library, she feels blessed to be able to spend so much of her free time there, favorite place to study.

5 Likes

Another idea: you’re a NYC “native”, right? How about you see if there’s a club to help non locals discover the city for cheap and offer to particopate… and if not, found it?
You’d have to have 3 neighborhood walks/trips ready for your 1st meeting but I bet you can come up with lots of cool places to visit (“Brooklyn, from Museum to Superhero Hw store to Street art”!)

3 Likes

Please read this. You aren’t alone. To those who feel lonely/homesick/friendless/think they chose the wrong school, etc

2 Likes

Being a non-drinker, non-partier limits one’s social options during his/her first semester of college.

Being a commuter greatly limits one from making acquaintances and friends during one’s first year of college.

Why did you choose NYU ?

For many, college becomes the best years of their life many decades later after life’s experiences makes them cherish the innocence of one’s college years at such a young and idealistic age.

Based on the above, it seems as though you are doing fine.

However, you are missing out on the typical bonding experiences of living in a dorm & partying.

As others have suggested, get involved in an on-campus activity that forces participants into a shared experience.

And, maybe, NYU is not the best school for you.

Our daughter went through something similar. We received nightly calls from her in tears.
Please get involved on campus. For her, she started volunteering at the health clinic and that is when she discovered and found her tribe. Most of the volunteers who she worked with, were also having difficulty finding similar people.

She also didn’t smoke, drink, party. (Although now she does imbibe occasionally because she and her friends went to Napa and learned about how wine is produced via some university classes!)

I agree with the idea of “discover the city” tour guide suggested by @MYOS1634. I would love to participate in that kind of club, even for tourists!

I know you are a commuter, but as you attend more and more classes, you’ll be on campus longer than you will expect. People will know your face and you will run into the same people at the coffee shops and library. Keep going to the library. You’ll find your spot.

4 Likes

Look for like minded folks. There are others who aren’t drinkers or parties…everywhere.

What do you live to do? Find some clubs that align with your interests.

1 Like