Truthful advice about getting into top colleges, for your "average" excellent student

I thought there used to be quotes from CC on our college-specific Naviance pages, but I just looked and all I see now is notes that our GC enters after meeting with the college rep when the reps visit in the fall. Perhaps I imagined that…

We’ve had Naviance access since freshman year. The students are encouraged to research schools early, attend college fairs and workshops at the school, use Naviance to build their resume, and are given tasks in Naviance to complete each year in preparation for senior year.

I have to say that I did wonder why CC offeed the exact same Supermatch tool that Naviance uses. Mystery solved.

Re #440:

My son’s private high school had Naviance (although it only provided raw numbers for each school, no scattergrams giving you an idea of the scores/grades of the applicants–I always attributed that to the fact that it would be easy to identify students because of the size of the school). I got a real chuckle when the college counseling office strongly encouraged families to avoid College Confidential, claiming that it was not helpful and would make you crazy (I think they were thinking of the “Chance Me” threads).

I often wondered if they ever went onto Naviance and looked at it for themselves, because Naviance DIRECTLY linked to CC from its website. That’s when I discovered they were both owned by Hobsons.