Trying to Get out of Lease

<p>Hello everyone,
I’m new to the forum and I am in need of help. I’m currently a freshman at the University. Back in October, I signed a lease to The Lofts at City Center for Fall of 2014. Due to extenuating circumstances, I recently found out I am unable to attend the University following the Spring 2014 semester. I am well aware of how helpful college confidential can be and I am hoping to get this issue under control. I am not really looking forward to having to pay for the lease even though I will not be living there. Any suggestions y’all may have regarding this issue?</p>

<p>You haven’t moved in, right?</p>

<p>Have you talked to them? Some places are quite lenient when you haven’t moved in and the “move in” date is many months ahead.</p>

<p>What does your paperwork say about breaking a lease BEFORE you’ve moved in.</p>

<p>You haven’t signed the lease until you move in. You’ve only signed a “pre-lease agreement” that you can break with no penalty, minus any non-refundable application and administration (credit check) fees.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>that’s why I thought as well, but wasn’t sure what this kid had. </p>

<p>I’ve never heard of a financial obligation when the person has never moved in.</p>