Trying to make final decision for Dorm Choices

<p>Well, I read through a few forum posts talking about Wisconsin’s dorms as well as looking through the list and have come up with a list, which also includes some things I like about the dorms. I have put lakeshore dorms at the top of my list, since I like the fact that it is a little quieter, possibly will have more reserved people, is pretty, etc.</p>

<p>The following list only includes features important to me. However, there may very well be some characteristic of a dorm that I don’t know about…please let me know ^^</p>

<h2>The List</h2>

<p>TOP CHOICES (Lakeside):

1. Elizabeth Waters: In the center of everywhere; seems popular, supposedly has nice, “large” rooms, catalog says “many involvement and leadership opportunities”.</p>

<p>I like that it’s in the center of everything, but, compared to other dorms by just the catalog, it doesn’t seem to offer as much…</p>

<li> Cole: Has tennis courts right by it! centennial gardens nearby and it’s next to the UW-Madison library. According to catalog, seems to have a strong program for scheduling activities. “The lake shore-wide theater group” (I really like theater).</li>
</ol>

<p>In a way, Cole is looking nicer than Elizabeth waters just from looking at the catalog. However, I know nothing about the actual quality of the building and average size of the rooms. I may very well make this my number one choice instead. Please comment if you know anything. :)</p>

<li> Sullivan: nearby tennis courts and centennial gardens! UW-Madison library close by. Seems to offer lots of activities.</li>
</ol>

<p>Looks nice, it’s lakeshore, but don’t know much about the rooms. Doesn’t seem like a bad third choice at all though.</p>

<li> Kronshage – close to UW-Madison library.</li>
</ol>

<p>This one doesn’t seem to offer as many activities and seems sort of small and maybe too secluded. I don’t know if I should lower this on my list or not, but then I’d be ranking southeast dorms before it.</p>

<p>Middle, but don’t particularly want Choices (mixed):
5. Witte: next to the Kohl center. </p>

<p>I think this is part of the “health and wellness house” thing…I like the idea of living where students have agreed not to use tobacco, alachol, and other drugs. However, it really isn’t a big deal for me.</p>

<li> Sellery: near kohl center.</li>
</ol>

<p>I hear the rooms are small…</p>

<p>Don’t want (Because I’m cheap and don’t want to pay more…feel free to try to convince me otherwise, that and I haven’t heard good things about some of them.):</p>

<li> Ogg – I hear good things about it though…</li>
<li> witte – small rooms</li>
<li> Chad – small rooms</li>
<li> Smith – extra money :S</li>
</ol>

<p>OTHER:</p>

<h2>The Bradely learning community looks interesting, but it has an extra fee and I don’t know all that much about it. What would I get from this that I woulden’t get from Cole or Liz?</h2>

<p>That about sums it up. I am suppose to submit my preferences in the next couple days. I am especially curious about Liz and Cole. Also, any advice on how you would rank my least favorite choices would be nice (hopefully I won’t get them though :S). Any comments about any of my choices and comments would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Also, for those deciding, maybe my little list with its details can help you :)</p>

<p>I just looked online at the housing selection thing and it says "mark all choices with '1' being your highest priority" Does that mean I can mark multiple ones as one and should I?</p>

<p>I was also wondering if selecting limited visitation would reduce my chances of getting into my choice dorm...because, even if someone diden't check it, they may just not care, it may not mean they are goign to have some girl in the room every night.</p>

<p>EDIT: also, I'm thinking of ranking some of the lakeshore learning comunities before the southeast halls so I can be on the lakeshore if all else fails, even if it means paying a little extra. Thoughts?</p>

<p>congrats on choosing Wisconsin as your final choice, I was curious as to where you finally decided. Too bad I won't be seeing u at UMinn though, being 7 hours away from anyone I know is going to be hard at first I suppose but I'm sure I'll adjust :).</p>

<p>Elizabeth Waters is great from what I hear (was my #1 choice), and yeah if I were you I would pick all the lakeshore dorms first just to make sure you get into lakeshore. I took a look at some things like air conditioning/bathrooms/distance from main campus places to make my decision. </p>

<p>I personally never checked off the visitation thing because its just seemed too uptight a thing to do... college is about getting to know people who are different from you and learning to get along with those people so I'm sure visitation arrangements can be worked out with your roomie after you are assigned to a dorm.</p>

<p>Hope my advice makes sense, and good luck with with college!</p>

<p>Liz is very popular so be sure you are happy with other choices. Look at the Res Halls website for specific dorm info, including the brochure if you lost your hardcopy. Notice that Liz sits by itself, Adams, Tripp and Slichter are clusted near the carryout/convenience store and Cole, Sullivan and Kronshage are clustered near a dining hall, Bradley has a program fee, all freshmen and is also near the last dorms. Notice that buildings are of different ages and styles... Near a library means Steenbock for lakeshore dorms, there are many libraries on campus.</p>

<p>You rank dorms 1,2,... Be sure to rank all southeast or lakeshore dorms before the other end of campus if location matters most. </p>

<p>Visitation means a small time period in the middle of the night, morning (2 am -9 am?) when no one of the opposite sex is allowed on your floor. This is the last remnants of times when they actually had hours for girls and then limits on visitors of the opposite sex except for certain time periods. The only advantage is knowing you can walk down the hall without your robe, or otherwise in a state you don't want guys to see. 24 hour visitation does not give you carte blanche to let your g/b-friend sleep over- your roommate has the right to use the room at all times. Tough luck for those who want privacy for romance- never let yourself be inconvenienced by that request from a roommate, don't agree to certain time periods you won't enter the room, you never know in advance when you will want/need to be there, if only to collect some item.</p>