Tucson

<p>I have got accepted into the university of arizona and i hear that the surrounding town of tucson is not very appealing and is very unsafe. i was just wondering if anybody has visited and could shed a little light on the issue for me. thanks.</p>

<p>Apart from some areas being sort of ugly, the neighborhoods are highly adequate and in some cases pretty nice. To the east you have the upscale Sam Hughes. To the north you have Jefferson Park and Blenman Elms, both are pretty nice. I personally don’t like the neighborhoods to the west of campus, but 4th AV is over there, so that’s worth something. South of the “U” is filled with student apts and the like, mainly.</p>

<p>I don’t know anyone who has been mugged, and the university area is one of the most heavily policed in town. You may get an aggressive panhandler from time to time, but that’s really just a minor inconvenience. Also, if you don’t feel comfortable walking at night, the university has “SafeRide,” a free taxi system for the neighborhoods around campus.</p>

<p>Most of Tucson is really run down but the area RIGHT by the University is nice. You shouldn’t have to go farther than the area right around the university, though.</p>