tuition fees for internationals

<p>just to clarify, international students pay OOS/non resident rates right ?</p>

<p>which according to the URL below, should be ~39.5k USD for 2k10/2k11? or are there additional costs for international students that are not stated there ?? i ask because some universities have different rates for OOS and international students. kinda confusing at times lol</p>

<p>Purdue</a> University - Tuition & Fees</p>

<p>and on average, tuition increases by ~8% per year ? is that about right or is that really wayy off ?</p>

<p>TIA</p>

<p>bump. hoping to get a reply so i can give my parents an estimate of finances required.</p>

<p>btw what about dorms during summer break. is that an option at purdue ? how much does it cost ?</p>

<p>I don’t have a firm answer for you but I did see on the health form that came in the mail that international students are required to purchase the University sponsored health insurance plan for info on the health insurance purchase <a href=“http://www.purdue.edu/push/billingInsurance/insPlans.html[/url]”>www.purdue.edu/push/billingInsurance/insPlans.html</a></p>

<p>^ thanks but that link doesn’t work.</p>

<p>anybody else ?</p>

<p>anybody else ?</p>

<p>Along with the tuition and other fees, I believe you also pay for health insurance which is required and the international student fee. The health insurance is around $900 for the year and the int’l student fee is $120 for the year($60 each semester).</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.purdue.edu/push/insurance/internationalStudents.shtml[/url]”>https://www.purdue.edu/push/insurance/internationalStudents.shtml&lt;/a&gt;
[Purdue</a> University - Bursar’s Office](<a href=“Office of the Bursar”>Office of the Bursar)</p>

<p>When paying the bursar’s office you just pay for tuition, on-campus housing(if necessary), and the other fees. You do NOT pay for airfare estimates, allowance money, etc. Int’l students are supposed to pay their tuition via wire transfers/checks if I recall as well. You should contact the Office for Int’l Students & Scholars (ISS).</p>

<p>Btw, the payments have to be in USD too if I recall. Not sure if it affects you but I know students from Korea are having a tough time because the currency exchange is horrible between KRW and USD. </p>

<p>I would estimate your parents needing $45,000 a year which would include airfare between the US and your country.</p>

<p>There is housing during the summer but it always changes. It should be posted on the Housing website. Remember that dorms can change in the middle of the summer term. Why I say this is because when I took summer classes in 2008 we had to live in Earhart for the first term then move to Purdue Village for the 2nd and 3rd term. I believe its the same for this summer as well. Also I’m pretty sure you have to be a student taking summer classes to live in dorms. </p>

<p>I recommend you subleasing an apartment near the campus during the summer because many people go back home. The price tends to be cheaper during the summer also and you don’t have to move your stuff around until the end of your sublease which is most likely mid-August. There are no meals during the summer as well except for the dining cards that never expire which cost $225 for 20 swipes or something which is a ripe off. That is why subleasing an apartment is a better option during the summer.</p>

<p>wow thank you so much!</p>

<p>so students don’t really stay during summer ? that’s like 3 months right ? what do most international students do then ? i don’t think <em>all</em> of them return to their home countries…right ? and employment ? somebody (in another thread) mentioned working off campus during semester breaks is allowed ?</p>

<p>what about cost of living on campus ? assuming meals and all are included, are there any other costs that i should aware of ? meaning should i have an allowance of my own, so to speak ? sorry for the odd question, i just wanna give my parents a good estimate for the entire year. so far i’m hovering at what you gave (~45k) - 2 way air fare + rent for summer (and i’m not really sure what that amounts to) + living costs during summer since there won’t be meals.</p>

<p>also, does it matter which account the funds are transferred from (for tuition) ? a relative of mine, who lives in the US might be able to help me pay first, so i can avoid those bank transfer charges which i’m sure are pretty high. i’m not sure if that’s allowed though (kinda like a credit card shipping address vs billing address)</p>

<p>once again, thanks!</p>

<p>Most students go back home and the campus is quite empty and rather boring. If you have friends staying for the summer as well then it isn’t too bad. Personally, I had friends living in various apartments during the summer I was there so we had a lot of parties and activities together. I don’t know much about international student employment so can’t really answer that question. Most int’l students go back home from what I see because they intern or stay with their family there. </p>

<p>The cost of living on campus depends on how you spend your money… Everyone spends their money differently… I know some people who never eat outside because they don’t want to waste swipes which is a lot of money. I know others like myself who spend A LOT of money on food and booze. For example, I spend around $200+ a week on food and booze. Of course, I partied most of the time and regret it but just giving an example. </p>

<p>Other costs you should be aware of are admission fees for sporting events, membership fees for fraternities/sororities/organizations/clubs/etc., social money such as movie tickets when going with friends, etc. Of course this depends on what you want to do while your at Purdue as well…</p>

<p>I estimated $45k because your airfare to go back home can be quite expensive depending on where you live. There are int’l students who go home twice a year as well (Winter and Summer). Rent for summer differs on where you want to live but I’d say the average is around $250-300 including utility. But as I said before, the estimate of how much you need a year can change depending on what you do and how much you spend on other stuff such as food, clothes, etc. </p>

<p>Not so knowledgeable with money transfers as well but that is what I heard and know some schools require. </p>

<p>Sorry I couldn’t answer some of your questions.</p>

<p>wow thanks again! $200 a week on alcohol and food is ALOT :O</p>

<p>one last thing: i start school in spring. how will that affect holidays and stuff like dorm placement (if at all) ? i take it i’ll only have to graduate 3 months later than those who start in fall this year ? any other downsides to starting in spring ? i don’t think they’ll have an orientation week or something like during fall right ?</p>

<p>Well move-in can be horrible since you never know if it will snow during mid-January. Depending on how many students live on-campus can affect your dorm placement but I’m sure you will be fine. Just be happy if you get a regular room since I know a few people who had to live in temp. housing the entire fall semester. Since people leave after the fall semester due to bad grades, finances, etc. your chance of getting a room is better. </p>

<p>I can’t really think of any negatives to starting in the spring other than making friends and not knowing the campus that well. Orientation for spring semester is def. shorter than the one for fall semester. If you go on the SAT Office website you will find info. on spring orientation for new students and transfers.</p>