Tuition Rate Code Selection Email

Did anyone receive the Tuition Rate Code Selection email from A&M? They are offering us 2 tuition plans…Variable rate plan and Locked-Rate (fixed) plan. Maybe I’m just being dense but why wouldn’t everyone choose the Locked-rate?

Variable rate plan: Tuition and fees could increase each year, using the Higher Education Price Index.
Locked-rate (fixed) plan: Tuition and fees are locked into a per semester rate for 12 consecutive semesters, or 4 years, from the point of initial enrollment at a public or private institution. Those paying non-resident tuition will be billed the state mandated non-resident rate, but other required fees will remain locked.

Thanks!

I saw that. I guess one might chose the variable rate one because there might be a slight chance tuition and fees would decrease…i would go with the locked on though because I doubt the cost is going to go down.

We received the same email. I am glad you posted the question. Seems locked rate would be the way to go. There was no table given for prices going down, only up.

Here is an article that kind of explains it. Seems with the fixed rate, the rate does go up, which could actually be more than the variable rate. https://www.texastribune.org/2014/10/06/student-interest-fixed-rate-tuition-varies/

Well darn it, I knew it was too good to be true. Not sure which one to choose now.

What did you all end up choosing and why? I’m transferring next semester and need to make this decision! Please help!