Tuition

<p>My family is not in the best financial spot with 3 other kids in college (1 is undergrad and 2 are grad students). I am OOS, but I have been looking into U of Wisconsin because of their Chemical Engineering program. How much should I expect to pay if I was accepted into U of W? Do they give any scholarships or financial based grants? I have a good academic record and am ranked in the top 3% of my class. My ACT is a 31 (though I am retaking it once more). Any advice is appreciated.</p>

<p>Why would you pay out of state tuition to go to UW when you could go to UIUC instate? Especially for engineering…</p>

<p>^^Ya, I know, that is why I will be applying for both UIUC and U of Wisconsin.</p>

<p>Although, UIUC I believe tacks on an extra $5,000 to tuition for engineering majors.</p>

<p>From what I understand, the UW does not give that much $$ to incoming students in merit. Perhaps you could get some aid if you qualify, but unlike places like Indiana they don’t give much at all to Freshmen. They do however give money to upperclassmen who perform well. I guess they wait and see how you perform in a college curriculum to decide if you qualify. So I would look specifically at how much the engineering department gives out to good students.</p>

<p>Some other things you could look at is if your local alumni chapter gives scholarships and how much instate at UIUC because if I remember correctly they are pretty expensive instate especially if you need 5k + for your major.</p>

<p>Plan on $35,000 for tuition, room & board, & miscellaneous expenses per year in your situation. Very, very few scholarships for freshmen, in or out of state.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone!</p>