Tulane University Early Decision / Early Action for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying EA/ED to Tulane University.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

1530 SAT
5.144 WGPA
Class Rank top 10 of over 400 students
NJ Public HS
EMT with hundreds of hours of volunteer service, HOSA President, Science League Board
After school job watching two young boys, transport to activities, help with homework, etc. until parents return from work

Demonstrated Interest: Virtual sessions, Campus Visit, Met with AO when visited my HS, Attended local presentation at a hotel in the Northeast, follow social media accounts

Thoughts on applying ED vs EA. Historically with stats like this Tulane will defer as they feel applicant isn’t serious but I am just prefer to apply during the round that offers merit money.

Thank you for any input or advice on wywd.

How does your school weight? What is your unweighted GPA?

You should only ED to a school that is your clear first choice and that is affordable for your family. Have you run the Net Price Calculator? Would Tulane be affordable without merit aid? If not, then the only option IS to apply EA. As you’ve been in communication with your AO before, you can reiterate your interest in Tulane but indicate that your family insists that you apply EA (due to need for merit, or comparing final financial offers, or just because).

@trops might have some perspective about EA applications and merit aid.

1 Like

How serious are you about Tulane as your #1 choice? Your stats generally support admission but Tulane does most of its admits through ED1/ED2. EA you’re gambling. Completely understand your thoughts on applying where it might get you merit money but that’s the risk you’re taking (and even if admitted EA there’s no guarantee of merit $$).

Tulane list price is super expensive but they get close to need. If you can afford list price and Tulane is far and away your #1 - go ED. If you want to balance out offers among schools and/or Tulane cost puts you/family into hardship then go EA.

1 Like

D22 is a current sophomore at Tulane. She applied EA and received merit. The same is true for all of her closer friends, they all applied EA and got merit. Merit amounts among those she knows range from $15k-$25. Allegedly there are some $30K awards but my daughter doesn’t know anybody who received them :wink: I have no anecdotal info on merit after applying ED.

They have a new admissions director since last year and it is said that they are moving away from the heavy reliance of ED1 and ED2. Not sure if this held true last year though.

Tulane loves community service and volunteerism, so having a lot of that should help with admission I think.

3 Likes

school only provides weighted but can potentially ask for unweighted once school opens next month. it’s likely high as the unweighted classes taken have received A+.

1 Like

you are not the first person I am hearing about the new director and the handling of the EA pool. that would be quite promising with the additional demonstrated interest to show it without the ED lock.
the amount if hours spent volunteering with the first aid squad, in the ER, with special needs kids, religious orgs, clean ocean action annually will hopefully show that this is a student who is a fit with tulane.

1 Like

visiting campus next week so until then cannot commit to it being #1.
have made 2 visits to washu and considering there for ED which is hard for everyone to be accepted into.
also absolutely loved umiami but again, not for ED as they will take plenty from this HS during EA and did make a campus visit there too to show interest.

S23 is a current Freshman at Tulane. He applied EA, was deferred to RD and was admitted there with $0 merit. Their need based scholarship was very close to the number that their NPC calculator suggested it should be which made it feasible.

Common data set isn’t available yet for Fall '23 admits so can’t say for sure but my sense from the thread last year was that they did not move away from the heavy reliance on ED rounds. Something like only 400 offers of admit were sent out in the RD round - but will be interesting to see how many got in straight through EA.

1 Like

You can calculate it for yourself. Most colleges don’t give extra credit for an A+.

A=4
B=3
C=2
D=1
F=0

Give yourself the appropriate number of points for each class you’ve taken. Divide by the total number of classes you’ve taken. There’s your unweighted GPA.

1 Like

if that’s the case then received an A+/A/A- in every class taken in HS so unweighted would be 4.0 based on your chart.

thanks

2 Likes

If you do have “need”, there are schools that will pay you for that 4.0 such as Arizona and Miami Ohio.

But go check out Tulane - and see if it’s a fit. I would ensure you visit any school before applying ED. Applying ED off photos and videos can be a bit scary. Tulane was high on my daughter’s list but after visiting, she removed it. For her, it just wasn’t a fit.

For you, it absolutely may be but b4 making that commitment you want to be 100% sure.

2 Likes

Last year’s ED acceptance rate was 67.9% (1258 out of 1853), and non-ED was just under 8%. Students accepted in EA/RD were definitely outstanding applicants.

4 Likes

wow - that’s crazy

2 Likes

yes - we will see, next week how it compares to other places we have visited. def will not ED anywhere without visiting a school in person.

2 Likes

yes, just over 2,300 were admitted under EA/RD and 1,258 were ED for a total of @3,600 being offered admission.

I could well be mis-understanding the way the CDS’s get published but I believe the numbers you’re stating are those for the Freshman '22 class not the current Freshman class. I pulled the last 5 CDS’s from their website and built the table below. CDS doesn’t break out EA/RD pools so those are calculated.

Tulane’s total application number definitely gets a boost since it’s a $0 application. If they revert back to their historical ED approach of ~1/3 of the class it still means the EA/RD admittance rate is sub 20%.

In the admission sessions they did highlight they focus on the kids that they feel “love them” - through demonstrated interest as well as the supplemental questions on the essay. I forget the numbers but only a small % of applicants even both to submit SAT/ACT scores.

'22-'23 '21-'22 '20-'21 '19-'20 '18-'19
Total Applicants 31,615 45,525 43,892 42,185 38,816
Admitted 3,621 4,385 4,877 5,431 6,724
Enrolled 1,843 2,027 1,801 1,821 1,909
ED Applied 1,853 3,853 3,976 2,163 1,659
ED Accepted 1,258 1,209 922 720 535
ED % Admitted 68% 31% 23% 33% 32%
EA/RD Applications 29,762 41,672 39,916 40,022 37,157
EA/RD Admitted 2,363 3,176 3,955 4,711 6,189
EA/RD Acceptance 8% 8% 10% 12% 17%
EA/RD Enrolled 585 818 879 1,101 1,374
Enroll % of Admitted 25% 26% 22% 23% 22%
2 Likes

Yes, my numbers were for last year’s entering class in Fall 2022. As you said, it doesn’t appear that the CDS for Fall 2023 is available yet.

Thanks for compiling the multi-year chart - very interesting. After generally increasing for several years, Tulane’s applications in all rounds were sharply lower in 2022 - barely half of the 2021 total in ED, and less than 3/4 of the 2021 total in EA/RD.

1 Like

Remember also students who didn’t get in, or who are considering Tulane: there is the IDT (interdivisional transfer) from the Tulane School of Professional Advancement to NTC with fulfilling the 6 core requirements:
Foreign Language
Math
Science
English (English 1010 compulsory)
Social Science
Humanities
With a C (or C-) or better
At least two (2) semesters in SoPA (School of Professional Advancement)
At least 18 Tulane credits
Upon completion of such, you will require a deans letter of approval from SoPA, just like going from NTC to SoPA, and you will have completed IDT to becoming a full fledged Tulanian!
Google: Tulane interdivisional transfer, it’ll show up under the School of Professional Advancement.
Perfect way to circumvent the normal freshman undergraduate route if you have a year or three of a break from school, and last I saw, you need a 2.0 GPA to get in. Not necessarily the 1-3 years break from school. Also, you don’t need to break from school, all you have to do is go into the SoPA and work on the transfer process.

They really know your background outside of what YOU tell them.

Good luck!