Turing Class of 2026

Also, was anyone admitted to CSB (through CS route) or was everyone else deferred as well?

S was deferred for Turing, CSB, and Dean’s.

A friend who got into Turing back in December also got into CSB yesterday

1 Like

At roughly 44 minutes into the video I shared earlier it mentions 36 Turing Scholars with 9 of them being women in “this year’s freshman class” implying Fall 2020 based on timing of the recording.

Damn only 25% women? interesting statistics, makes me wonder if it’s a yield issue, an applicant issue, or they just accepted majority men?

1 Like

My niece graduated from UT CS last May. She mentioned the number of women is increasing. She has an unusual circumstance and I helped her get into college. When we researched CS programs for her back in 2016, 25% women was the target for many programs. The number is starting to rise, but for the year 2022 this seems quite low regardless of university. CMU has course corrected and has 50% women in their incoming freshman classes in recent years. Same with MIT.

It’s all three. The majority of applicants are men, which generally means that the majority of admitted students are. On top of that, the yield is lower as well (at least last year). There were around 35% women admitted IIRC, but that became 25%ish committed. It’s a chicken and egg problem in a way, but it’s getting better each year.

I remember this happened last year, but I don’t recall any patterns based off of it. Just hold tight for a few weeks at most, I don’t think there’s any point looking into it.

The lower committed number sounds about right, covid screwed things up last year and I know it’s a much smaller class. However, it’s extremely unlikely Lin would have only admitted 50 students (which the original comment seemed to have said). The program has been targeting ~50-55 committed students per year for a while now, so it wouldn’t make sense for Lin to admit less than 100.

I think also some of the public universities have a harder time with gender balance due to the need to have a percentage of in state students admitted. My youngest is the only female in her CS classes in high school presently. The interest has to be cultivated in state in UT’s case to balance things out. Shockingly even schools like UCLA have sub 30% women in CS. The private universities have a lot more leeway to correct imbalances quickly.

1 Like

What is the typical yearly incoming class number for CS and for Turing?

Typical incoming class is about 50 students.

So, 10% of a typical incoming class is admitted to Turing?

My dad said it gets worse in graduate programs and above. When he did his M.S in CS, there was one woman and 50+ men in his cohort.

Yeah that’s about right I believe.

Thanks. I should have said 10% are in Turing. Admitted is probably higher considering yield.

yeah, I realized what I was getting into when I found out I was 1 of 2 girls in my class of 35 this year for CS

1 Like

just wondering how many deferral for turing program can actually be changed to accept by Mar 1st. not seen any one got rejected for turning so far

Ye, I don’t think they straight up rejected anyone for Turing yet.

There is however a difference in status for some. Some show “under review” as before and others show deferred “still under review” with a March 1 timeframe. I also haven’t heard of any rejections but this difference of status seems odd.